Dear Alan

The difference between my Commons statement and your position is too subtle for me. Do you mean that you are not alarmed about the possibility of the need for geoengineering becoming apparent?

I could not possibly ask everybody because I do not have a complete list. However in future I could if you wish say ' nearly everybody except people like Alan Robock . . .' Perhaps in return you could in future distinguish the tropospheric salt and stratospheric sulphur SRM techniques from one another.

By the way I do value your opposition. If we ever have to do geoengineering the process will be safer because of you. All I want is to have reliable equipment ready if it is needed in a hurry and all its effects well understood. I am a bit surprised that you are not making more of a fuss about figure 2b of your own paper in Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics and its effect on methane release. Where do your stand on PIOMAS Arctic volume predictions?

Stephen