Hi Mike

Thanks very much for your response. Short term carbon fixing using algae may
well be able to help stabilise and reduce both atmospheric CO2 levels and ocean
temperature, making algae production a valid geoengineering method.

Only permanent sequestration is generally considered to have substantial effect
on CO2 level, but I disagree.  If algae can provide a replacement for fossil
fuel, and also provide a commercial market to use CO2 emissions from power
stations and mines, it can substantially reduce and utlimately reverse growth
of atmospheric CO2 level.

Lets say hypothetically we can establish 100,000 square km (10m ha) of ocean
based algae farms, covering about 0.02% of the world ocean, funded primarily by
sale of produced fuel, fish, fertilizer and fabric.  At the upper limit
of yield cited by NASA OMEGA, a goal of 50 tonnes of oil per hectare per year,
production on 10 million hectares would yield 500m tonnes  This is about 10%
of world oil supply of about 5 billion tonnes per year.  As well, it would
produce a large amount of carbohydrate and protein suitable for fertlizer and
fish food.

Instead of obtaining fossil carbon from under the ground, ocean based algae
production would obtain the carbon from the atmosphere, replacing a large
proportion of emissions with a sustainable energy supply and other products.
Instead of adding to atmospheric CO2, this method would help stabilise and
manage the carbon cycle, especially through non-fuel outputs.

Algae farms on this scale would provide solar radiation management, converting
incoming sunlight into algal growth, and cooling the local ocean as a
geoengineering contribution.  Algae farms at sea may prove superior to space
based SRM approaches.  Algae industry could be funded by sale of produced
outputs, creating commercial incentive to support this technology that can help
address peak oil, food security and global warming.

Ocean deserts, the growing area of low-chlorophyll sea, were estimated at 50
million square kilometres in size in 2008, five times bigger than the land area
of the USA.  Algae production in these zones would enable significant increase
in fisheries as a food supply and support for biodiversity.  The carbon from
algae could be fixed in surface waters temporarily in a form that  would
decrease acidity and local CO2.

Using ocean energy to raise nutrient-rich ocean water as feedstock from below
the thermocline, combined with CO2 inputs from power plants and mines, would
create an industrial farm environment in which high yielding varieties of algae
could be bred for a range of products, as a key input to managing the global
climate.

Some references

http://www.sealevelcontrol.com/ocean.html - ocean aeration and upwelling.

http://www.eng.nus.edu.sg/core/Report%20200402.pdf - engineering issues for
very large floating structures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6oekxl0JAs&feature=player_embedded - TED talk
by Dr Jonathan Trent, head of the NASA OMEGA project.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/news/features/2012/omega_algae_feature.html -
OMEGA Press Release April 2012

 http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2008/20080305_oceandesert.html - NOAA
information on Ocean Deserts