http://thereluctantgeoengineer.blogspot.de/2012/05/testbed-news.html

SPICE personal statement.

It is with some regret that today the SPICE team has announced we’ve
decided to call off the outdoor ‘1km testbed’ experiment that was scheduled
for later this year. The reasons for this are complex and I will try to
explain the decision here. It should be noted that these views are my own
and do not necessarily imply consensus within SPICE. Where a range of
opinions exist I will try to make that clear. Importantly however, the
decision to call of the experiment was made by all the project partners in
agreement.

Firstly, there are issues of *governance*. Despite receiving considerable
attention no international agreements exist. Whilst it is hard to imagine a
more environmentally benign experiment, which sought to only pump 150
litres (2 bath loads) of pure water into the atmosphere to a height of one
kilometre over a deserted field, in terms of SRMGI nomenclature, it
represented a transition from stage 2 to stage 3 research. Most experts
agree that governance architecture is needed and, to me personally, a
technology demonstrator, even a benign 1/20 scale model, feels somewhat
premature, though many in SPICE would disagree. Counter to my personal
feelings is the argument that technologies that could inject SO2 into the
stratosphere, particularly aircraft, already exist and that process could,
but obviously should not, begin tomorrow. It is therefore wrong to consider
the tested experiment as an enabling technology and that various delivery
mechanisms should be tested given there is minimal, well managed proximal
(e.g. health and safety) risk and no impacts on climate or biodiversity.

Secondly, there are issues of *intellectual property*. SPICE, as a team, is
committed to researching climate engineering carefully with the profound
belief that all such research should be done, as per the Oxford Principles,
for the greater good. We have all agreed, through a partner-wide
collaboration agreement to (a) put all results into the public domain in a
timely manner and (b) not to exploit (i.e. profit from or patent) results
from the SPICE project. However, a patent application exists that was filed
prior to the SPICE project being proposed, describing the delivery
technology, presenting a potentially significant conflict of interest. The
details of this application were only reported to the project team a year
into the project and caused many members, including me, significant
discomfort. Information regarding the patent application was immediately
reported to the research councils, who have initiated an external
investigation. Efforts are underway to make the patent application’s
intentions unambiguous: to protect intellectual property and not for
commercial purposes.

Thirdly, it will take time to explore these issues through *deliberation*
 and *stakeholder engagement*. This means that any postponement of the 1km
tested would be a *de facto*cancellation as the experiment’s value, to
elucidate balloon and tether dynamics to inform computer models, diminishes
over the project lifetime. The SPICE team sincerely hopes that this
decision will facilitate rational, unrushed discussion on issues that
include both governance and intellectual property but span broader issues
surrounding SRM.
Posted by matt watson  <http://www.blogger.com/profile/14583012320357403299>
at 00:43<http://thereluctantgeoengineer.blogspot.de/2012/05/testbed-news.html>