That Franklin quote is only part of the story.  Is Africa's reflectivity
lower due to racial makeup?

Which leads me to add one Remark: That the Number of purely white People in
the World is proportionably very small. All Africa is black or tawny. Asia
chiefly tawny. America (exclusive of the new Comers) wholly so. And in
Europe, the Spaniards, Italians, French, Russians and Swedes, are generally
of what we call a swarthy Complexion; as are the Germans also, the Saxons
only excepted, who with the English, make the principal Body of White
People on the Face of the Earth. I could wish their Numbers were increased.
*And while we are, as I may call it, Scouring our Planet, by clearing
America of Woods, and so making this Side of our Globe reflect a brighter
Light to the Eyes of Inhabitants in mars or Venus, why should we in the
Sight of Superior Beings, darken its People?* why increase the Sons of
Africa, by Planting them in America, where we have so fair an Opportunity,
by excluding all Blacks and Tawneys, of increasing the lovely White and
Red? But perhaps I am partial to the complexion of my Country, for such
Kind of Partiality is natural to Mankind.

-- Benjamin Franklin, America as a Land of Opportunity, 1751.

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/65159/russell-seitz/the-next-top-model

> that
>
>> Geoengineering ... has been an integral part of the landscape of history.
>> Although Benjamin Franklin wrote in 1751,
>

>> "We are, as I may call it, scouring our planet, by clearing America of
>> woods, and so making this side of our globe reflect a brighter light,"
>

>> little credit is due to young George Washington's hatchet work. Fire in
>> the hands of Neolithic man had already transformed the ecology -- and the
>> albedo -- of Australia and the Americas eons before.
>

> Working in the opposite sense, by converting woodlands into black water
> ponds, a Holocene population some population biologists estimate to have
run
> into the hundred millions globally, may have engaged in wholesale SRM by
> darkening  some millions of square kilometers before <i> H. sapiens</i>
even
> evolved.
>
> This unlicensed  landscape transformation was perpetrated by Castor faber
>  in the old world and C.canadensis in the new.
>
> Ken also notes that "

>> I fear Malcolm Gladwell's 'Tipping Point' trope is itself  approaching
the
>> 'ONeilling Point', beyond which all use of an environmental cliche' is
>> political.

James Fleming
STS Program
Colby College