Ken,

from our legal analysis that doesn't wash.

Firstly, mariculture and acquaculture doesn't come into COP Decision IX/16 so
obviously it's a breach of that in any case

COP 9 DECISION IX/16
4. Bearing in mind the ongoing scientific and legal analysis occurring
under the auspices of the London Convention (1972) and the 1996 London
Protocol, requests Parties and urges other Governments, in accordance
with the precautionary approach, to ensure that ocean fertilization
activities do not take place until there is an adequate scientific
basis on which to justify such activities, including assessing
associated risks, and a global, transparent and effective control and
regulatory mechanism is in place for these activities; with the
exception of small scale scientific research studies within coastal
waters. Such studies should only be authorized if justified by the
need to gather specific scientific data, and should also be subject to
a thorough prior assessment of the potential impacts of the research
studies on the marine environment, and be strictly controlled, and not
be used for generating and selling carbon offsets or any other
commercial purposes

regarding LC/LP

LC/LP.1 (2008) reads "2.        AGREE that for the purposes of this resolution,
ocean fertilization is any activity undertaken by humans
with the principal intention of stimulating primary productivity in the oceans"

That is the definition. So whether it's carbon or fish is irrelevant. The
principal intention needs to be 'stimulating primary productivity in the oceans"

The footnote "Ocean fertilization does not include conventional aquaculture, or
mariculture, or the creation of
artificial reefs." must be read in the light of the sentence it's noting
i.e.''stimulating primary productivity in the oceans".

Without doubt, the exercise by Russ George and his band was with the intention
of stimulating primary productivity in the oceans. An activity which qualifies
as mariculture which nevertheless is 'stimulating primary productivity in the
oceans" is still ocean fertilization. The footnote is simply to
avoid an argument that feeding fish as part of aquaculture or mariculture is
ocean fertilisation since it is inadvertently stimulating primary
productivity in the oceans.Clearly putting iron in the oceans was done with the
intention of stimulating primary productivity in the oceans
and was neither mariculture nor aquaculture, and I am sure no country would
seriously argue that it is.

Nor can the addition of the word 'conventional' mean that 'unconventional'
aquaculture (or mariculture) is somehow exempt even if it is done with the
primary intention of stimulating primary productivity in the oceans. The
meaning of para 2 is clear.

Further everything we have learned from the Haida and also public  financial
documents around a loan for the project clearly indicate that the aim of the
project was to sequester carbon in order to sell carbon credits - ie in
financial terms this is primarily about carbon not fish. Quite who was expected
to issue such carbon credits is beyond me but thats what those paying for the
project were led to believe (by Russ George one assumes).

Jim

Jim Thomas
ETC Group (Montreal)
j...@etcgroup.org