Doug

What you say may depend on what kind of SRM you do. Tropospheric seeding can affect precipitation in either direction a long way from the spray source depending on where, and perhaps when relative to the monsoon you do it. We hope to be able to make dry places a bit wetter and wet places a bit drier.

Stephen

On 31/10/2012 15:48, Doug MacMartin wrote:

Hi Pete -- that doesn't actually contradict what I was suggesting. My point, as Tom also suggested, is that SRM doesn't need to be a binary choice of either we try to restore global mean temperature back to pre-industrial, or we don't do any SRM. The former will certainly cause some regions to be too dry. But halfway between these might be "better" everywhere.

(To be concrete, suppose you look at a 2xCO2 scenario, and decrease solar radiation by 1%, enough to offset roughly half of the warming. Is there anywhere "harmed" by this, in terms of their temperature and precipitation being even worse than it would be with no SRM? Of course, the answer depends on how you measure climate damage, which is a big, and unanswered question. But the answer is certainly not obvious. Kate pointed out that there are regions that get drier with CO2, and drier still with SRM, but the precipitation changes are relatively small compared to temperature changes, so that in their damage function, everywhere would still benefit from this half-way scenario. Really, to answer this need to be much more careful with defining benefit and harm, I'm being loose with just associating it with temperature and precipitation changes, and even there need to ask how to normalize relative changes.)

And of course, whether people judge that they have been harmed by geoengineering is different from whether they have been; it is certain that many people will feel that they have been.

And thanks!

doug

*From:*geoengineering@googlegroups.com [mailto:geoengineering@googlegroups.com] *On Behalf Of *p.j.irvine
*Sent:* Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:38 AM
*To:* geoengineering@googlegroups.com
*Cc:* andrew.lock...@gmail.com; 'Ken Caldeira'; macma...@cds.caltech.edu
*Subject:* Re: [geo] Re: NYT: Geoengineering: Testing the Waters- Naomi Klein

doug,

I think you might be a little hasty in arguing that in model simulations no region has shown any signs of that there will be a shift of their climate further from the baseline. Your paper and the Moreno-cruz paper both use a similar approach that may miss out on some perfectly anticipatable objections to the climate shifts that you simulate. I believe that a robust signal across the geoMIP ensemble and other model simulations is a reduction of precipitation across North America and Eurasia to a level below the pre-industrial, reversing, and then some, the anticipated global warming shift to greater precipitation. A reduction in precipitation is not equal to an increase in precipitation, and in the extreme case, a doubling of precip is very different from precip dropping to zero (not that this has been seen). There are going to be regions where people judge that they have been harmed by SRM geoengineering, Although whether Monsoon affected India and Africa are in that class is uncertain.

nice paper by the way,

Pete