From: "Mike MacCracken" <mmacc...@comcast.net>
To: searchtai...@hotmail.com, "Geoengineering"
<Geoengineering@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2012 10:35:56 AM
Subject: Re: [geo] Re: 10min of maybe

I don’t recall where but I think such approaches have been analyzed previously.
As I recall, the problem is displacement by the solar wind and the particles
will get pretty quickly pushed out of intended orbit, slowed, and burned up in
the atmosphere—indeed, with so many particles, might that not happen from
collisions? While the particles could be replaced on a regular/ongoing basis,
you would also end up with a thickish cloud in orbits from the top of the
atmosphere on up to whatever the injection altitude was (and perhaps a bit
higher), that would, I would think, be abrasive to satellites that are up
there. And then there are questions of what it would do to affect
communications, visibility for astronomers, and so on, but the key issue is
that they would not stay in the altitude band they were injected into.

I should note also that it is 1% of solar that needs to be reflected/scattered
away from Earth (plus any effect there would be of these particles absorbing,
warming, and radiating back IR).

Mike MacCracken

On 11/29/12 9:37 PM, "home geoengineering inventor" < searchtai...@hotmail.com
> wrote:

Here are some of the specs of the Nickel coated graphite (NCG) I propose to
use. Through a microscope this 100 micron powder appears to be hollow, hence
the graphite core. Meaning it has a relatively large size vs. mass ratio. If
you wanted to completely cover 1 square meter you would only need half a gram
(TOTAL BLACK OUT!) Now when I say this material is invisible to the naked eye,
I mean it is almost impossible to see a spec of anything this size. Take a
human hair (60 micron) if you pull out one strand you can see its length but
the end or cross section is pretty hard to see (unless you are trying real
hard.) If I wanted to make a solid band of this product around the equator 10
km wide (COMPLETE BLACK OUT) I would need 5000 tons of this powder. Costing
roughly 300 million CAN$ shipping and handling not included. That is equivalent
to 1 day of war! (what US is spending to fight in Iraq as stated in the
Washington post is 280 million a day) One may say that 10 km around the equator
won't amount to shit, but with the proper delivery system this 10 km disperses
into a not so solid band of 100 km around the Earth. Depending on altitude this
coverage can be magnified many times. That means each and every particle is in
direct contact with the suns rays for 12 hours a day and each and every day and
every particle absorbs, reflects, deflects a small fraction of the suns solar
rays. It would be like throwing a handful of flour in the air, or looking out
of your screen window or door. You can still see out, light still penetrates
through, plants can still grow, but things aren't quite so HOT!!!  To achieve
the desired results of blocking 1% of the incoming solar radiation in actuality
I think this may be over kill. Meaning the cost is less than 300 million! 1 day
of war to potentially slow and stop climate change. In the space industry
really 300 million in my mind is a piss in the wind... I have read that
payloads  of up to 25 tons can go up at a time. That means I would need only
200 deliveries to accomplish the task.
This product is readily available and surprising enough you most likely have
almost direct contact to it every day. It is found in cell phones, tablets,
monitors of sorts, computers, laptops, basically anything that has "touch
screen" abilities.
Further testing needs to be done. Testing to see how it reacts in vacuum, how
it reacts with the worlds magnetic force field, abrasive tests done in wind
tunnel are a few.
I think putting anything solid up in space to achieve the same results is
foolish due to potential collisions (a shuttle or satellite can safely fly or
pass through an ultra fine powder.) And if further testing proves this to be
too abrasive, the material is also available in half the size.. a bit more
costly, but less abrasive.

I think trying to shoot a meteor in hopes that it will give off a cloud of
dust/powder is potentially catastrophic. Without knowing the composition of the
meteor  and how it will explode could result in a cloud too big with no way to
control or reverse the process. Or on the other hand send a large chunk to
hurdle towards Earth with the potential of destroying an existing satellite,
the ISS, (producing more potential for space junk) or at its worse case
scenario to actually hit Earth causing a total wipe out of everything. (With my
idea we control how much goes up and if need be how much comes back.)

I believe anything we do within our atmosphere is potentially causing weather
patterns to fluctuate bringing on the perfect storm scenarios that we have been
witnessing. If we try to cool one area it means another becomes heated and with
the circulation of air, wind and water all a mess, we see things happening that
may have not happened in the past.
That's why I say "anything we do within the oven door is useless." even if we
can reflect the suns solar rays within atmosphere; its too late. They have
already done their damage by heating the Earth as a whole (even in the upper
atmosphere.) Remember with my idea cooling at the equator (far far away from
our atmosphere) where the sun heats Earth the most will still cool Earth as a
whole.. Hence the chicken analogy. If that 1% of the suns rays never get the
chance to penetrate into the atmosphere we would never know the difference, and
it wouldn't have the negative effects on convection because it isn't
technically in our "oven". Also if we wanted, my idea doesn't have to be over
just the equator, we always have the option of making a cloud over any area in
need of cooling, ex. polar ice caps!!! One of the strongest advantages to my
idea is it doesn't have to happen over night. We can control and monitor the
effects over time as we witness the positive effects.

If someone, anyone can see a small maybe in my idea. I would love to get some
guidance as far as testing is concerned.
And how would one get funded for testing???

Trying to make a difference,

Dennis Stelmack :)