Andrew

I accept that the optics and thermal effects of stratospheric sulphur and tropospheric sea salt are similar. What is different is their lifetime, two years for stratospheric sulphur and a few days, depending on rain and drizzle for tropospheric sea salt. I believe Jon Egil when he says that tropospheric sea salt will warm the Arctic in winter but because of its short life we can make sure that all has gone before winter comes. But because the life time of stratospheric sulphur is so long it will be evenly spread in a few months. You can do an experiment with cream in your coffee. David accused us of being patchy and we accuse him of being promiscuous.

If you look at figures 7.4 and 7.5 on page 135 of Ben Parkes thesis at http://homepages.see.leeds.ac.uk/~eebjp/thesis/ you will see where you should spray to control rainfall in either direction in a selection of places.

All I am asking is that you should distinguish the two technologies for solar radiation management. However I am also curious about the coffee cream result relates to non-uniform stratospheric concentrations.

Stephen

Emeritus Professor of Engineering Design School of Engineering University of Edinburgh Mayfield Road Edinburgh EH9 3JL Scotland s.sal...@ed.ac.uk Tel +44 (0)131 650 5704 Cell 07795 203 195 WWW.see.ed.ac.uk/~shs