From: "Andrew Lockley" <andrew.lock...@gmail.com>
To: "geoengineering" <geoengineering@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 6, 2012 7:48:18 PM
Subject: [geo] ISU researchers explore the effects of biochar on downstream
ecosystems

http://m.iowastatedaily.com/mobile/news/article_10b8f6e4-3ca4-11e2-9dcb-001a4bcf887a.html

ISU researchers explore the effects of biochar on downstream ecosystems

By Eric Debner,
eric.deb...@iowastatedaily.com

Biochar may be a next-generation soil amendment utilized by farmers to increase
agricultural productivity. While this biorenewable solution has potential for
commercial use in the near future, there are aspects and variables that could
be further explored to improve the capabilities of biochar.Lori Biederman,
adjunct assistant professor of ecology, evolution and organismal biology, and
William Harpole, assistant professor of ecology, evolution and organismal
biology, received a grant from the ISU-based Leopold Center for Sustainable
Agriculture to experiment and research the effects of biochar on a restored
native prairie plant species in Western Iowa. Harpole said the experiment will
explore the downstream ecosystem impacts of biochar on native plants and
biodiversity.Biochar is a byproduct of a process called pyrolysis, that
essentially turns biomass, such as corn stover and switchgrass, into a
renewable source of energy. Harpole said biochar can be used as an additive to
help strengthen soils by adding water retention properties and nutrients such
as phosphorus, which helps farmers increase their crop yields.“Biochar has been
promoted as a win-win-win solution,” Harpole said. “You get energy, you improve
soil conditions and increase crop yield.”Harpole said this ideal scenario
creates a fourth question: the environment. Is that a win, or is that a
loss?When applied to the landscape, Harpole said biochar is susceptible to
erosion and win that can carry it into neighboring ecosystems. Harpole said
some studies have shown that up to 50 percent of biochar can be transported
away through erosion or wind.“We have to be careful of protecting our buffers
and understanding how biochar affects the perennial systems that are right next
door to annual crops,” Biederman said. “[Biochar] blows everywhere, and can
very easily end up in places where it was not applied.”Biederman and Harpole
conducted a process called meta analysis in which they collected all the
published information on biochar experiments and put it into a data table.
Harpole said most of the data showed biochar has, on average, positive effects
with plant growth.“It also points out what we don’t know,” Harpole said. “We
don’t have much information about the impacts of [biochar] on downstream
ecosystems.”Harpole said the effects of biochar could play out in a number of
ways. If biochar is beneficial for agricultural systems, then it could also
benefit natural systems. Harpole said an alternative situation is biochar could
negatively affect native plant species but positively affect exotic weedy
species.One aspect of downstream ecosystems that Biederman and Harpole want to
explore is the effect biochar has on perennial plants compared with annual
plants. Biederman said perennials are plants that persist for many growing
seasons while annuals perform their entire life cycle, from seed to flower to
seed, within a single growing season. Biederman said annual plants typically
fared better in biochar-treated soils than perennials.“There’s something about
being a perennial and annual plant that makes them react differently to
biochar,” Biederman said. It is important for researchers to investigate all
aspects of biochar before applying it onto the field, to better understand how
biochar affects the perennial systems right next door to annual crops.“More
information helps us make better decisions about how we use our landscape and
what we’re trying to conserve and promote,” Harpole said.