Poster's note : Below I've taken the liberty of presenting Steve's
email in the format familiar to list users. Both papers are linked,
with abstracts presented.

Direct link to Steve's full paper (PDF)
http://www.phil.washington.edu/POV/documents/GardinerDesperationArgumentFINAL.pdf
The Desperation Argument for Geoengineering
Stephen M. Gardiner
University of Washington
Geoengineering has been roughly defined as “the intentional
manipulation of planetary systems at a global scale” (Keith 2000;
Schelling 1996). This definition is neither as precise nor as
informative as some would like. Nevertheless, we can fix ideas by
focusing on the most prominent current proposal, which is to inject
sulfate aerosols into the stratosphere to deflect incoming radiation
and so cool the Earth's surface. This is a paradigm case: if anything
counts as geoengineering, stratospheric sulfate injection (hereafter
SSI) does.

Claire's abstract below:
http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=8802617
Situating and Abandoning Geoengineering: A Typology of Five Responses
to Dangerous Climate Change
Clare Heyward
University of Oxford
Geoengineering, the “deliberate, large-scale manipulation of the
planetary environment in order to counteract anthropogenic climate
change” (Shepherd et al. 2009, 1), is attracting increasing interest.
As well as the Royal Society, various scientific and government
organizations have produced reports on the potential and challenge of
geoengineering as a potential strategy, alongside mitigation and
adaptation, to avoid the vast human and environmental costs that
climate change is thought to bring (Blackstock et al. 2009; GAO 2010;
Long et al. 2011; Rickels et al. 2011). “Geoengineering” covers a
diverse range of proposals conventionally divided into carbon dioxide
removal (CDR) proposals and solar radiation management (SRM)
proposals. This article argues that “geoengineering” should not be
regarded as a third category of response to climate change, but should
be disaggregated. Technically, CDR and SRM are quite different and
discussing them together under the rubric of geoengineering can give
the impression that all the technologies in the two categories of
response always raise similar challenges and political issues when
this is not necessarily the case. However, CDR and SRM should not be
completely subsumed into the preexisting categories of mitigation and
adaptation. Instead, they can be regarded as two parts of a five-part
continuum of responses to climate change. To make this case, the first
section of this article discusses whether geoengineering is
distinctive, and the second situates CDR and SRM in relation to other