Jim Thomas of ETC has a post up at

excerpt

> *Big Chill? *Contributing to the normalization of geoengineering, Oliver
> Morton, science editor of *The* *Economist*, on his personal blog, likes
> the argument  that geoengineering could save Africa from the next Northern
> volcano.[vi]<http://www.etcgroup.org/content/normalizing-geoengineering-foreign-aid#_edn6>
>  Morton
> doesn’t deny that the Temperate North may judiciously introduce solar
> radiation management anyway to protect the Arctic and that, therefore, the
> South will have to engage in defensive geoengineering to keep Sahelian
> famine at bay. It’s hard to see the sunny side of this for tropical and
> subtropical countries. Since most of the proposals involve layering the
> stratosphere with sulfate particles that remain aloft for roughly 2 years,
> Morton and the geoengineers might spare a little artificial intelligence to
> figure out what to do if a real or second “inevitable” volcanic eruption
> overlaps the manufactured kind. How would a triple-whammy of sulphates (a
> north injection, a south injection and then an unexpected volcanic
> addition) shift the climate. Would you need to double the artificial
> injection? How can you then scale back afterwards?

Just to note its a long time since I was science editor at The Economist
(though I agree that a lack of bylines and mastheads makes that a little
obscure). Also I explicitly rejected, in the post, the idea that the
temperate North would geoengineer by cooling just the northern hemisphere,
forcing the south to engage on "defensive geoengineering"