Note that there is an accompanying page on project scope:

https://www8.nationalacademies.org/cp/projectview.aspx?key=49540

I think it was wise to focus on examining 3 or 4 exemplars rather than
trying to define or address an exhaustive scope.

I am sure the support from "the U.S. Intelligence Community" will no doubt
set the hearts and minds of the conspiracy theorists aflutter.

I condemn the torture, widespread drone attacks, etc, routinely engaged in
by "the U.S. Intelligence Community" since 2001, and so would not
participate if I did not genuinely believe that this panel will contribute
to risk reduction. My understanding, based on hearsay and not solid
information, is that a key risk they seek to understand is the magnitude of
the threat from actors who might want to engage in rogue geoengineering
projects.

Project Scope

An ad hoc committee will conduct a technical evaluation of a limited number
of proposed geoengineering techniques, including examples of both solar
radiation management (SRM) and carbon dioxide removal (CDR) techniques, and
comment generally on the potential impacts of deploying these technologies,
including possible environmental, economic, and national security concerns.
The study will:

1. Evaluate what is currently known about the science of several (3-4)
selected example techniques, including potential risks and consequences
(both intended and unintended), such as impacts, or lack thereof, on ocean
acidification,

2. Describe what is known about the viability for implementation of the
proposed techniques including technological and cost considerations,

3. Briefly explain other geoengineering technologies that have been
proposed (beyond the selected examples), and

4. Identify future research needed to provide a credible scientific
underpinning for future discussions.

The study will also discuss historical examples of related technologies
(e.g., cloud seeding and other weather modification) for lessons that might
be learned about societal reactions, examine what international agreements
exist which may be relevant to the experimental testing or deployment of
geoengineering technologies, and briefly explore potential societal and
ethical considerations related to geoengineering. This study is intended to
provide a careful, clear scientific foundation that informs ethical, legal,
and political discussions surrounding geoengineering.

The project has support from the National Academy of Sciences and the U.S.
Intelligence Community. The approximate start date for the project is March
2013; a report is expected be issued in fall 2014.

Ken Caldeira

Carnegie Institution for Science
Dept of Global Ecology
260 Panama Street, Stanford, CA 94305 USA
+1 650 704 7212 kcalde...@carnegiescience.edu
http://dge.stanford.edu/labs/caldeiralab  @kencaldeira

*Caldeira Lab is hiring postdoctoral researchers.*
*http://dge.stanford.edu/labs/caldeiralab/Caldeira_employment.html*

Our YouTube videos <http://www.youtube.com/user/CarnegieGlobEcology/videos>