Poster's note : manipulation of VOC levels may offer an entirely new
geoengineering strategy

http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ngeo1800.html

Warming-induced increase in aerosol number concentration likely to moderate
climate change

Pauli Paasonen, Ari Asmi, et al

Nature Geoscience (2013) doi:10.1038/ngeo1800
Published online 28 April 2013

Atmospheric aerosol particles influence the climate system directly by
scattering and absorbing solar radiation, and indirectly by acting as cloud
condensation nuclei. Apart from black carbon aerosol, aerosols cause a
negative radiative forcing at the top of the atmosphere and substantially
mitigate the warming caused by greenhouse gases. In the future, tightening
of controls on anthropogenic aerosol and precursor vapour emissions to
achieve higher air quality may weaken this beneficial effect. Natural
aerosols, too, might affect future warming. Here we analyse long-term
observations of concentrations and compositions of aerosol particles and
their biogenic precursor vapours in continental mid- and high-latitude
environments. We use measurements of particle number size distribution
together with boundary layer heights derived from reanalysis data to show
that the boundary layer burden of cloud condensation nuclei increases
exponentially with temperature. Our results confirm a negative feedback
mechanism between the continental biosphere, aerosols and climate: aerosol
cooling effects are strengthened by rising biogenic organic vapour
emissions in response to warming, which in turn enhance condensation on
particles and their growth to the size of cloud condensation nuclei. This
natural growth mechanism produces roughly 50% of particles at the size of
cloud condensation nuclei across Europe. We conclude that
biosphere–atmosphere interactions are crucial for aerosol climate effects
and can significantly influence the effects of anthropogenic aerosol
emission controls, both on climate and air quality.

Pauli Paasonen (corresponding)  & Ari Asmi