From: geoengineering@googlegroups.com [geoengineering@googlegroups.com] on
behalf of Alan Robock [rob...@envsci.rutgers.edu]
Sent: 03 June 2013 17:09
To: John Latham
Cc: geoengineering@googlegroups.com
Subject: [geo] Re: Marine Cloud Brightening pros & cons. Alan Robock criteria

Dear John,

We are designing an MCB GeoMIP experiment so we can see how robust the
results are from the climate models that have already done these
experiments, but all differently.  In theory, there would be both
benefits and risks, and these must be quantified.  From my list, you can
cross our ozone depletion, no more blue skies and effects on remote
sensing and astronomy, as well as other stratosphere-specific issues.
But I think it is premature to claims that MCB would be safe and
effective.  And detailed indoor computer modeling experiments will be
needed to provide an environmental impact statement for outdoor
experiments.  Indeed, a lot more research is needed.

Alan

Alan Robock, Distinguished Professor
   Editor, Reviews of Geophysics
   Director, Meteorology Undergraduate Program
   Associate Director, Center for Environmental Prediction
Department of Environmental Sciences              Phone: +1-848-932-5751
Rutgers University                                  Fax: +1-732-932-8644
14 College Farm Road                   E-mail: rob...@envsci.rutgers.edu
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8551  USA      http://envsci.rutgers.edu/~robock
                                        http://twitter.com/AlanRobock