From: Ken Caldeira <kcalde...@carnegiescience.edu>
Sender: kcalde...@gmail.com
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 17:01:30
To: Andrew Lockley<andrew.lock...@gmail.com>
Cc: Emily Lewis-Brown<em...@lewis-brown.net>;
geoengineering<geoengineering@googlegroups.com>; David
Lewis<jrandomwin...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [geo] The Caldeira "If you Sterilize the Ocean We'd Still Have
 Chicken McNuggets Hypothesis" questioned by Ocean expert

Andrew,

Please respond to what I said and not what you imagine I said.

The issue has to do with a hypothetical case of sterilization of the
oceans. There was no reference to climate change in my statement.

I challenge anyone to construct a plausible causal chain that would lead
from sterilization of the oceans to downfall of human civilization.

This is not an expression of my values, this is an expression of my
scientific understanding.

Let all realize that I spend a large chunk of my time trying to investigate
and protect human threats to ocean ecosystems.

*This Scientist Aims High to Save the World's Coral Reefs*
http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&amp;islist=false&id=176344300&m=178462367<http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=176344300&m=178462367>
(Aired Monday, 4/22 on NPR's All Things Considered; 7 minutes, 49 seconds)

Best,

Ken

--
_______________
Ken Caldeira

Carnegie Institution for Science
Dept of Global Ecology
260 Panama Street, Stanford, CA 94305 USA
+1 650 704 7212 kcalde...@carnegiescience.edu
http://dge.stanford.edu/labs/caldeiralab  @kencaldeira

*Caldeira Lab is hiring postdoctoral researchers.*
*http://dge.stanford.edu/labs/caldeiralab/Caldeira_employment.html*

Check out the profile of me on NPR's All Things
Considered<http://www.npr.org/2013/04/22/176344300/this-scientist-aims-high-to-save-the-worlds-coral-reefs>