From: Veli Albert Kallio <albert_kal...@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 03:57:34
To: em...@lewis-brown.net<em...@lewis-brown.net>;
neum...@gmail.com<neum...@gmail.com>; Geoengineering
FIPC<geoengineering@googlegroups.com>
Subject: RE: [geo] Prediction: Arctic sea ice will vanish in 2013

"Interesting that the Met Office is the lowest projection."

May be my barking at the Met Office worked! Since 26th June 2012 there has been
in circulation leaks in political gossip media that the US Navy was expecting
"watery" Arctic in 2013 and had promoted it to the headline section. I have
trumpeted this projection to Professor Sir John Mitchell, FRS, that how come,
on the other side of the pond, Professor Sir John Beddington was telling for UK
government on 30th May 2012, citing their Hadley Centre, that the sea ice may
vanish only at the end of the 21st century (the letter to AMEG/John Nissen
following our presentation at the EAC in February 2012). There were just three
weeks between the Beddington letter and the US leak and yet there were 100
times time difference in the estimated rate of sea ice loss at this side of the
Atlantic pond. Mitchell couldn't respond anything back. So, may be, they have
upped up their choices from 2080 (2100?) so that they are not at the dog's tail
tip this time if there were something happening this or near years. ESA's
Cryosat Mission leader late Seymour Laxon put that at 2020, only 7 years now,
whereas AMEG at EAC put it 5 years earlier than that. The lowest margin
Beddington gave was 'sometime after 2030'. The EAC report was put on halt when
they realised their likely error, and in the autumn (after September 2012) the
tone of the EAC report was modified to reflect upon the large ice losses of the
last year (that the ice might go very rapidly). I have no further comment to
Emily's remark of finding Met Office's lowest projection interesting, other
than they may try to compensate for their 2012 over-conservative estimates by
trying to shoot out 'fast' date. After all, if science is unbiased, its error
bar should take shots both below and above the mean value at 50%/50% rate. If a
rate is 90%/10%, or 99%/1% then there is a bias to either being excessively
conservative or excessively alarmist on regular basis (which is the case of
IPCC and the Arctic Council with their sea ice melting estimates for years -
due to politics?). So this might be a yet another political move by the Met
Office o be aggressive this year, this time. to compensate for their last year
blunder when they advised 2080 or 2100 when the Arctic Ocean sea ice may melt
away. However, to console their difficulty I would recommend Timothy Lenton's
paper who were at the EAC to present the Met Office's then futile version:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1204.5445v1.pdf Lenton was already expressing some change
of mind to his EAC presentation at Elsevier's Planet Under Pressure 2012
(PUP2012) conference in April 2012. He seems to have come a long way forward
rising the increased chaoticity of the ocean system in the Arctic as above.