My own experience of palaeovulcanology is cautionary-   modest as the
number of active and dormant volcanoes may be , very few have recorded
eruptive histories.

Investigating  an Olmec lithic source in the geologically young mountains
of  Guatemala, we noted a maar  a few kilometers distant and a spectacular
volcanic cone - Volcan Jumay  dominating the southern horizon.

Riding up, we  encountered volcanic bombs atop one of the summits
overlooking the source area, we were naturally curious as to which crater
ejected them, and when-  nothing brings closure to archaeological site
dating better  than a good old fashioned Pompei.

No such luck. Unfortunately, nobody had mapped the maar, and nobody in the
province of Jalapa , or the geological survey offices in the capital, had
any catalog of eruptions of Jumay-  absent going back to dig for datable
materials, there was no telling whether the volcanic fallout was  centuries
or eons old . Such records as existed pertained to only a handfull of the
two dozen active volcanoes in the nation, largely those within sight of the
old and new capital cities.

It would be nice if every volcano became a thesis topic , if only to get
 de minimis carbon dates for their holocene eruptive sequences , making
life a lot  easier for  climate modelers as well as archaeologists.