This is getting pretty far off the wall.

By 1990, it was the view of a great many scientists familiar with the
evidence then available that it was time for civilization to act to limit
emissions of CO2 and other greenhouse gases.  Canadian scientists such as
Dr. Kenneth Hare stated at the 1988 Toronto conference that he believed
that 95% of his climate scientist colleagues would support the call for
action issued there by Bolin, Houghton, Watson, Schnieder, McElroy, et.al.
  That call was for a 20% global reduction of CO2 emission by 2005, as an
initial step aimed at stabilizing the concentration of CO2 in the
atmosphere.

In his 1990 article, Seitz appears to describe a similar call, i.e. 30%
reduction of CO2 by 2000, which he ascribes to "environmentalists" he
doesn't name, as something most scientists of that time would not support.
 The 1990 Seitz article appears to be a call to do nothing, made because
Seitz believed the case for action was not clear enough.  It seems to me
that a point central to the case Seitz made in his 1990 article was that
most scientists of the time would agree with him, i.e. that the evidence
was not strong enough.  It is that point I am disputing.

Perhaps Seitz will clarify things - what was his case in 1990?  Was he
saying the case for action was not strong enough, therefore civilization
should not even attempt to limit the rate of increase of the CO2
concentration in the atmosphere?  Was he claiming most scientists agreed
with his position?  Or was he advocating and claiming something else?

Seitz seems to think I'm lying and plagiarizing.  I was an invited delegate
to the Toronto conference and was astonished at the passionate intensity I
saw in the scientists I found myself in debate with over the four days it
took to prepare the final statement.  What was obvious was that many
environmentalists discovered that climate was an issue only after hearing
from the scientists of that time, eg, when the Greenpeace International
delegate spoke in Toronto it seemed clear his organization had not taken
climate seriously until he attended that conference and saw for himself how
concerned the scientists in attendance were.  I was not aware that Romm had
written a critique of the 1990 Seitz article.