http://ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/geoengineeringcfp201307

Call for Papers for Special Issue of JET on “The Ethics of Geoengineering”

Submissions are invited for a special issue of the Journal of Evolution and
Technology on the topic of the Ethics of Geoengineering. Deforestation,
animal husbandry, the burning of fossil fuels and other human activities
have resulted in the rise of greenhouse gases in the earth’s atmosphere.
The rapid rise in temperature is having dramatic impacts from massive
storms to droughts near the equator, and it is vital to nearly all species
on Earth that we actively reduce greenhouse gases. Geoengineering – a
variety of massive projects to deflect sunlight or sequester carbon - is
one possible way to slow and mitigate this environmental crisis, although
the various methods being proposed all have attendant risks and ethical
concerns.

Guest editor:Jamais Cascio, co-founder of WorldChanging.com, and author of
Hacking the Earth: Understanding the Consequences of Geoengineering He can
be reached at cascio@openthefuture.comImportant dates

Submission deadline:  Nov 1, 2013
Notification of acceptance/rejection: Feb 1, 2014
Final revision deadline: March 1, 2014

Publication: Spring/Summer 2014
Focus of the Special Issue
The biosphere is so dramatically damaged by the emission of
climate-changing carbon that humans must take on the responsibility of
scientifically understanding its mechanics, and possibly using that
knowledge to directly mitigate our climate-changing impacts. A growing
number of scientists believe that we need to begin investigating methods of
geoengineering as an adjunct to efforts to reduce carbon emissions,
especially if climate change begins accelerating through feedback loops.
The geoengineering methods that have been proposed include deflecting
sunlight by ejecting reflective aerosols into the atmosphere or ringing the
earth with space mirrors, as well as methods of sequestering carbon such as
massive reforestation, capturing carbon emissions from agriculture and
manufacturing and burying them, and changing the chemistry of the oceans to
sequester more carbon. The impacts of these methods could be as disruptive
and uneven as climate change itself, however, and different countries have
very different interests in whether and how geoengineering might be
undertaken.For this issue of JET we would like to solicit papers exploring
both the proposed geoengineering methods, and ethical, social and political
questions that must be considered before they are explored and undertaken.
Which methods make sense to explore? How can we keep the pressure on to
shift to renewable and sustainable forms of energy, agriculture and
manufacturing if we avail ourselves of this techno-fix? What agencies
should be empowered to research and undertake these initiatives? What risks
and benefits should be considered? What kinds of evidence and modeling
should be required before they are undertaken, and at what point should
they be deployed?

Length and Style
We anticipate that this issue will contain around 10 papers and, as a
working guide, the papers should be between 4000 and 12,000 words in
length.  Instructions on format and style are here:
http://jetpress.org/authors.html

Submission procedure
Manuscripts must be submitted electronically in Microsoft Word to
cas...@openthefuture.com

Review process
Each submission will ideally receive two reviews. Completed reviews will be
forwarded to the corresponding authors. Please suggest up to three external
reviewers to facilitate the review process.