Hi Folks,

Regrettably, I can not read the full paper and can only offer up minor
comments/questions which might be covered in the full paper. The abstract
closes with: *"**Carbon dioxide is involved, but is not determinative, in
the evolution of the 100,000-year glacial cycles.". *What is clearly
different from our current situation and the past cycles is the rapid
amplification of yearly CO2 respiration and CO2 build up. In simple terms,
the earth is taking much deeper annual breaths involving volumes of CO2 not
seen throughout the studies' time frame.

Here is a paper showing the respiratory increase for just the last 50 yrs.:

 "*Enhanced Seasonal Exchange of CO2 by Northern Ecosystems Since
1960"*<http://www.sciencemag.org/content/early/2013/08/07/science.1239207.abstract?sid=2301f98c-d1de-4562-86f8-ea1a020b5103>

*"Seasonal variations of atmospheric carbon dioxide (CO2) in the Northern
Hemisphere have increased since the 1950s, but sparse observations have
prevented a clear assessment of the patterns of long-term change and the
underlying mechanisms. We compare recent aircraft-based observations of CO2
above the North Pacific and Arctic Oceans to earlier data from 1958 to 1961
and find that the seasonal amplitude at altitudes of 3 to 6 km increased by
50% for 45° to 90°N but by less than 25% for 10° to 45°N. An approximately
50% increase in seasonal exchange of CO2 by northern extratropical land
ecosystems, focused on boreal forests, is implicated, substantially more
than simulated by current land ecosystem models. The observations appear to
signal large ecological changes in northern forests and a major shift in
the global carbon cycle."*
*
*
My question is: Can this unprecedented annual fluctuation and volume of CO2
act as a tipping point capable of "trigger(ing) a negative (ice) mass
balance" in the Arctic? In simple terms, can the current planetary
respiration system 'volume' spike to the extent that a rapid decrease in
Arctic ice happens regardless of planetary average temperatures?

Or,
Abe-Ouchi<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v500/n7461/full/nature12374.html?WT.ec_id=NATURE-20130808#auth-1>
 et
al. states: *"**the shape and position of the hysteresis loop playing a key
part in determining the periodicities of glacial cycles"*. Can our current
CO2 respiration depth change the "shape" of the hysteresis loop?

Thanks for yet another interesting puzzle.

Best,

Michael