From: Ken Caldeira
<kcalde...@carnegiescience.edu<mailto:kcalde...@carnegiescience.edu>>
Date: Friday, September 6, 2013 7:50 AM
To: geoengineering
<geoengineering@googlegroups.com<mailto:geoengineering@googlegroups.com>>
Cc: Default <r...@llnl.gov<mailto:r...@llnl.gov>>
Subject: Climate Colab, Two of our proposals win in this round of competition ..

http://climatecolab.org/web/guest/plans/-/plans/contestId/10/planId/1304174

I hadn't been lobbying heavily for this proposal largely because I deemed the
process stupid an the judges likely to be biased, but now that the process and
judges have selected two of our proposals, one in the Energy Power Sector and
one in the Geoengineering category, I am ready to say that this process looks
to me to be both thoughtful and fair.

Congratulations to Greg Rau for taking on the good fight.

http://climatecolab.org/web/guest/plans/-/plans/contestId/10/planId/1304174

http://climatecolab.org/web/guest/plans/-/plans/contestId/20/planId/1304119

The full set of winners of this round, competing for the Grand Prize can be
found here:

http://climatecolab.org/community/-/blogs/2012-2013-climate-colab-contest-winners?_33_

I note that there was no "judges" choice under the category of
"geoengineering", which seems to be limited to CDR-type techniques:
http://climatecolab.org/resources/-/wiki/Main/Comments+by+Expert+Reviewers+on+the+Geoengineering+Proposals

http://climatecolab.org/web/guest/plans/-/plans/contestId/10/planId/1304174

Proposal for Electric power sector
<http://climatecolab.org/web/guest/plans/-/plans/contestId/10> by The Planet
Doctors
Spontaneous Conversion of Power Plant CO2 to Dissolved Calcium Bicarbonate

Pitch

As in SO2 mitigation, spontaneously remove CO2 from power plant flue gas using
wet limestone scrubbing.

Description
Summary

Carbonate mineral weathering is a major absorber of excess CO2 at planetary
scales: CO2 + H2O + CaCO3 --> Ca(HCO3)2aq. However, relying on this very slow
natural process to consume excess CO2 would in the interim commit us to many
millennia of climate impacts and ocean acidity (1).  It is therefore relevant
to find ways of cost-effectively accelerating this proven, natural
(geo)chemistry in order to more quickly mitigate of our CO2 emissions, while
also trying to rapidly transition to non-fossil energy sources.

Modeling and lab studies have shown that contacting CO2-enriched gas with water
and limestone is an effective way of spontaneously capturing and storing CO2 as
dissolved calcium bicarbonate (2-7). This is termed Accelerated Weathering of
Limestone – AWL. In laboratory tests, up to 97% of the CO2 in a dilute gas
stream was removed using this method (11). Seawater would appear the best
option for such systems, although other non-potable water sources (wastewater,
saline ground water) could also be relevant at inland sites.

An AWL total cost of <$30/tonne CO2 avoided has been estimated, with <$20/tonne
being more likely at coastal power plants that already pump massive quantities
of seawater for condenser cooling. The preceding mitigation cost ranges are a
fraction of that reported for more conventional capture and underground storage
of concentrated CO2 (CCS) when retrofitted to existing power plants (8).

CO2 mitigation is not the only potential benefit of AWL. As in natural
carbonate weathering, the dissolved Ca(HCO3)2 added to the ocean by the process
will help to chemically offset the effects of CO2-induced ocean acidification
(9-11).

Despite its potential, AWL is lacking a demonstration at a scale that would
prove its cost effectiveness, safety, and net environmental and societal
benefit.  It is proposed that these issues be evaluated and tested at a
relevant scale by a team of scientists, engineers, and environmental,
economics, legal, and social experts.

[http://climatecolab.org/image/user_male_portrait?screenName=gregrau&companyId=10112&portraitId=0]
 gregrau<http://climatecolab.org/web/guest/member/-/member/userId/1008921>
Owner
[http://climatecolab.org/image/user_male_portrait?screenName=kencaldeira&companyId=10112&portraitId=0]
 kencaldeira<http://climatecolab.org/web/guest/member/-/member/userId/1237662>
  Member
[http://climatecolab.org/image/user_male_portrait?screenName=philrenforth&companyId=10112&portraitId=0]
 philrenforth<http://climatecolab.org/web/guest/member/-/member/userId/1240272>
 Member

http://climatecolab.org/web/guest/plans/-/plans/contestId/20/planId/1304119

Proposal for Geoengineering
<http://climatecolab.org/web/guest/plans/-/plans/contestId/20> by Planet
Physicians
Saving the Planet, v2.0

Pitch

Interested in air CO2 removal, carbon-negative fuel, saving the ocean, and
redrawing the global energy map? Read further.

Description
Summary

Regardless of our CO2 emissions, Nature eventually will return global CO2 to
pre-human levels primarily via base (carbonate and silicate) rock weathering
(1). Nature’s 100,000 year time frame for this process, however, means that
unless we quickly intervene, the earth will unacceptably fry and acidify in the
interim.  Thus, it is of interest to consider building on and accelerating this
proven, global scale geochemical CO2 mitigation process while we also strive to
transition from our carbon-positive energy existence. We propose to research a
process that simultaneously addresses both of these issues by merging rock
weathering and renewable energy in a novel electrochemical process.

It has been demonstrated (2-5) that strategically placing common rock minerals
around the acidic anode of a standard, functioning saline water electrolysis
cell not only produces H2, and O2 or Cl2, but also generates a solution that is
strongly absorptive of air CO2. This spontaneously converts the CO2 to stable
bicarbonates and/or carbonates in solution.

The preceding points the way toward employing common rock minerals, salt
solutions (seawater, brines), and renewable energy (e.g., wind, solar, ocean,
geothermal) in a system that can remove CO2 from air while also generating a
carbon-negative fuel, H2.  The global abundance of these reactants and energy
sources suggest that the process could be conducted at a significant scale.
Furthermore, as in natural rock weathering, the (bi)carbonates added to the
ocean by the process will help to chemically offset the effects of CO2-induced
ocean acidification (6-8).

It is proposed that the cost-effectiveness, capacity, environmental
impact/benefit, social desirability, and geopolitical implications of this
novel, carbon negative fuel production method be evaluated by an international
team of scientists, engineers, and environmental, legal, and social experts.

[http://climatecolab.org/image/user_male_portrait?screenName=C.Negative&companyId=10112&portraitId=0]
 C.Negative<http://climatecolab.org/web/guest/member/-/member/userId/1005707>
   Owner
[http://climatecolab.org/image/user_male_portrait?screenName=gregrau&companyId=10112&portraitId=0]
 gregrau<http://climatecolab.org/web/guest/member/-/member/userId/1008921>
Member
[http://climatecolab.org/image/user_male_portrait?screenName=kencaldeira&companyId=10112&portraitId=0]
 kencaldeira<http://climatecolab.org/web/guest/member/-/member/userId/1237662>
  Member
[http://climatecolab.org/image/user_male_portrait?screenName=platzer&companyId=10112&portraitId=0]
 platzer<http://climatecolab.org/web/guest/member/-/member/userId/1253047>
Member
Ken Caldeira

Carnegie Institution for Science
Dept of Global Ecology
260 Panama Street, Stanford, CA 94305 USA
+1 650 704 7212
kcalde...@carnegiescience.edu<mailto:kcalde...@carnegiescience.edu>
http://dge.stanford.edu/labs/caldeiralab  @kencaldeira