I am open to refinement, but I think Dave Hawkins comments point out the
merit of this approach.  This approach is based on facts and not on
counterfactuals. Avoiding emissions is not modifying climate. It is an
avoidance of a modification to climate. A reduction in greenhouse gas
concentrations is no more a counterfactual than a reduction of temperature
of a glass of water is a counterfactual.

---

I am not intending this discussion to lead to an end point. I am trying to
provide a better starting point for a legally useful definition that can be
used as a basis for international discussions among states.  I am hoping
that others will adopt this basic approach and refine it.

---

A rewording to try to make point (3) clearer:

"Geoengineering" refers to activities

(1) intended to modify climate

(2) and that have a greater than *de minimis *effect on an international
commons or across international borders

(3) and where that greater than *de minimis* effect occurs through
environmental mechanisms that are not a direct consequence of any resulting
reduction in anthropogenic aerosol and/or greenhouse gas concentrations.

Again, my intent is to allow useful technologies to be developed that
present no special novel risks, including biochar, biomass energy with CCS,
reforestation, and many other possible approaches, some of which we may not
have thought of already and so cannot be put on a list of exclusions.

Ken Caldeira

Carnegie Institution for Science
Dept of Global Ecology
260 Panama Street, Stanford, CA 94305 USA
+1 650 704 7212 kcalde...@carnegiescience.edu
http://dge.stanford.edu/labs/caldeiralab  @kencaldeira