From: "Charles H. Greene" <c...@cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 01:00:52
To: RAU greg<gh...@sbcglobal.net>;
geoengineering<geoengineering@googlegroups.com>;
em...@lewis-brown.net<em...@lewis-brown.net>
Subject: Re: Whales and harvesting oil Re: [geo] Earthworms: Nature's
 unlikely CDRers

Baleen whales are two or more trophic levels removed from marine algae, so
harvesting all of the whales in the world at a maximum sustainable yield would
not put a dent in the global liquid fuel demand. Furthermore, I suspect that a
LCA would demonstrate that more energy would be used in harvesting them, even
if ranched, then would be produced.

Marine algae are the solution, but paradoxically, they must be grown on land
under tightly controlled, industrial conditions to make it economically and
energetically feasible. It is realistic to expect that marine algae can be
grown under such conditions to produce the equivalent of about one barrel of
oil per hectare per day. To meet the total US liquid fuel demand, that would
mean growing algae in an area about the size of the state of Georgia (2% of US
land area). Since US demand is ~20% of global demand, the global demand could
be met by growing algae in an area approximately five times the size of
Georgia. It's not likely to happen in the US, but could be done in other parts
of the world with access to the ocean and sufficient sunshine. Nutrients are an
issue, too; however, they can be recycled and used much more efficiently than
any terrestrial sources of plant biomass. Since these are marine algae, they
don't need to compete with food crops for good agricultural land and
freshwater. In other words, the world's deserts adjacent to the ocean would
work just fine.

Algae need CO2 to produce biomass, and it cannot be acquired from the
atmosphere to optimize growth when atmospheric concentrations are so dilute
(400 ppm). If linked to direct air capture of CO2, the liquid fuels produced
can potentially be carbon neutral (free of new fossil carbon). If you create
long-lived algal biopetroleum products, then the process can be carbon
negative. I predict that the long-term economic viability of this approach to
carbon dioxide removal will be worked out during the next five years. Then it
will take clever financing to handle the huge capital expenditures (Cap Ex)
necessary to take this concept to scale. Then the question becomes who is
willing to spend the trillions of dollars in Cap Ex to produce liquid fuels
that meet the global demand but without ever running out or producing any new
fossil carbon emissions?

Greene, C. Monger, B. Huntley, M. 2010. Geoengineering: the inescapable truth
of getting to 350. Solutions 1(5): 57-66.