http://www.plosbiology.org/article/info:doi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pbio.1001707

Citation: Stilgoe J, Watson M, Kuo K (2013) Public Engagement with
Biotechnologies Offers Lessons for the Governance of Geoengineering
Research and Beyond. PLoS Biol 11(11): e1001707.
doi:10.1371/journal.pbio.1001707

In this paper, we reflect on our involvement in one of the first major
research projects in the emerging area of geoengineering (the deliberate
intervention in the planetary climate). The project, Stratospheric Particle
Injection for Climate Engineering (SPICE), proposed an outdoor experiment
that attracted substantial public scrutiny despite a strong consensus that
the experiment posed no direct environmental risk. A programme of
stakeholder engagement took place that sought a deep understanding of the
views about the proposed experiment. The lessons from this experiment build
on insights from public engagement with the biosciences and biotechnology.
In particular, we see the importance of questions of context and purpose
for scientific research. This has important implications for the governance
of geoengineering research. Efforts to detach areas of research from public
scrutiny by using thresholds, whether these are drawn at a particular level
of environmental effect or at the doors of a laboratory, will encounter
problems of public credibility. Geoengineering is unavoidably entangled in
a political discussion that scientists should seek to understand and engage
with.