Subject: Re: [geo] Tilting at the DE-FOA-0001037 windmill to increase
carbon storage options
From: Greg Rau <gh...@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, February 04, 2014 2:03 pm
To: "pcfl...@ualberta.ca" <pcfl...@ualberta.ca>,
"geoengineering@googlegroups.com" <geoengineering@googlegroups.com>

Yes, but you have to spend $80-$100/tonne to make that CO2 from most waste sources. Since no one wants to pay this, I don't see a great need to worry about where to store it. Nor do we have to worry about this if we are converting the waste CO2 to organic or inorganic compounds without concentrating (and then storing) molecular CO2.

If one is really concerned about marine ecosystems (e.g., Hawaii) one can spontaneously convert CO2 in the power plant tail pipe to Ca(HCO3)2aq using wet mineral carbonate or maybe even silicate scrubbing and add this to the ocean.  Thus, CO2 captured and stored in non-molecular form - check; the alkalinity added to the the ocean helps offset the biogeochem effects of fossil energy's legacy to the sea - ocean acidification - check.  Where's DOE's multi $M FOA to study this option?
Greg