Greg et.al.,

Your points are, as usual, highly supportable from a number of different
angles. The recent coordination of the IMO and the CBD responses to OIF
does appear to be the beginning of an intergovernmental governance matrix
focused upon the use of the marine environment for global warming
mitigation. We have seen in the past that groups like ETC have tried to
overwhelm the CBD with questionable ploys and the end product was
scientifically supportable. If one were to start from scratch to build an
international governance board for large scale marine based mitigation, the
IMO/CBD and the International Seafloor Administration (ISA) (as the third
leg) would be a good mixture to model the new organization upon. However,
those existing organizations will be in the governance position anyway and
so working with them, per project, may be the best. Beyond those three
established groups, the inclusion of the International Monetary Fund (IMF)
would seem worth consideration.

Based upon the full spectrum of current marine sciences understanding of
the productive potential of the marine environment; the sophistication of
current marine engineering; the emerging understanding that AGW is a truly
international responsibility and the high global demand for the wide
spectrum of strategically important commodities that Marine BECCS can
deliver, Marine BECCS can be both an environmental and economic powerhouse.
What ever international climate change mitigation governance regime
emerges, the financial factors will not allow themselves to be ignored and
thus a financial forth leg should be among the initial climate change
mitigation 'counsel'.

The question of governance is something of a paradox in that any form of
governance needs effective tools available to govern (whatever it is that
needs governance) and thus governance has a strong influence on tool
design. On the other hand, the design of the tool(s), many times, opens up
governance possibilities which the policy makers are simply clueless about.
Thus, all four legs of the governance regime should be brought along during
the tool design process. As most of the supporting staff of the respective
'parties' are highly trained scientist, this should not be an overwhelming
chore. It appears that this is currently the norm.

*In my most humble opinion*, the best way to stress test the governance
ability of a coordinated compilation of international governance bodies is
to strongly propose specific projects with significant details offered for
critique. It is also my humble opinion that Marine BECCS can withstand
vigorous scrutiny by both the four legged court of the IMO/CBD/ISA/IMF and
that of public opinion (what the policy makers truly seek).

Best regards,

Michael