I found this paragraph (with no footnotes or citations) to be interesting:

Fifth, the critical discourse is profoundly suspicious that several of the
leading proponents of geoengineering are not primarily devoted to long-term
sustainability worldwide, but rather to promoting their own profits (e.g., from
patent rights), advancing personal careers, or serving the interests of think
tanks or the fossil fuel industry. These accusations have been levelled because
some researchers have been found to have both scientific and economic interests
in specific technologies or field experiments, and because some of their work
has been financed by venture capitalists. The strong support that
geoengineering efforts have received from conservative think tanks and fossil
fuel industry lobbying has certainly strengthened these suspicions.

It makes for an interesting, logical story which may confirm some observers'
biases. In fact, when I began examining the CE issue, this was my belief. After
actual research, I have found this to be largely untrue or, where factually
true, misleading in its implications.

-Jesse

Jesse L. Reynolds
European and International Public Law
Tilburg Sustainability Center
Tilburg University, The Netherlands
Book review editor, Law, Innovation, and Technology
email: j.l.reyno...@uvt.nl<mailto:j.l.reyno...@uvt.nl>
http://works.bepress.com/jessreyn/