Adding, contra her assertion, international treaties do not prohibit weather
modification. The ENMOD treaty does prohibit hostile use of environmental
modification (which includes both weather and climate modification) which has
widespread, long lasting, or severe effects which cross international borders.
This only applies when both the source state and the harmed state are parties
to the treaty (which most of the industrialized world is). It does not apply
when the effects are within the source state, are in a non-participating state,
or in areas beyond national jurisdiction (e.g. the high seas, Antarctica). It
explicitly protects and even encourages peaceful environmental modification.
Some text from my article is below.

Although the definition of “environmental modification techniques” includes
many forms of climate engineering,[1] ENMOD prohibits only “engag[ing] in
military or any other hostile use of environmental modification techniques
having widespread, long-lasting or severe effects as the means of destruction,
damage or injury to any other State Party.”[2] ENMOD does not prohibit the
research and development of potentially hostile environmental modification
techniques, and it explicitly states that it “shall not hinder the use of
environmental modification techniques for peaceful purposes.”[3] Moreover,
ENMOD recognizes and encourages peaceful environmental modification: “[Parties]
[r]ealiz[e] that the use of environmental modification techniques for peaceful
purposes could improve the interrelationship of man and nature and contribute
to the preservation and improvement of the environment for the benefit of
present and future generations . . . .”[4] Parties are to exchange scientific
information regarding peaceful environmental modification, and those with the
financial means “shall contribute . . . to international economic and
scientific co-operation in the preservation, improvement and peaceful
utilization of the environment . . . .”[5] If “the preservation, improvement
and peaceful utilization of the environment” were to include reducing climate
change risks, the passage could even be interpreted as an obligation for
industrialized Parties to “contribute” to climate engineering research.
http://works.bepress.com/jessreyn/3

Jesse L. Reynolds
European and International Public Law
Tilburg Sustainability Center
Tilburg University, The Netherlands
Book review editor, Law, Innovation, and Technology
email: j.l.reyno...@uvt.nl<mailto:j.l.reyno...@uvt.nl>
http://works.bepress.com/jessreyn/<http://bit.ly/1pa26dY>
http://twitter.com/geoengpolicy<http://bit.ly/1oQBIpR>