I would agree that modeling for long-term climate impacts should be a
logical first step in designing/approving GMOs. Regretably, that simply has
not been done in the past.

The first GMO to be released was an engineered (non-ina or ice
nucleation-active) form of * Pseudomonas syringae
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudomonas_syringae> *which some believe has
reduced cloud formation rates in the areas where the organism has been
released. Regrettably, there was no attention paid to the potential impact
the released GMO would have at the cloud production level and so there was
no cloud related studies done before the release of the GMO and thus post
release changes in cloud formation rates can not be compared with
pre-release conditions. And, few people even know/care about the potential
changes and thus no further study of the effects will likely go forward.

However, if the GMO version of *P. syringae* eventually crowds out
the* ina* gene
equipped species (i.e. natural variant), at the global scale, a reduction
in global cloud cover and thus natural SRM can easily be predicted. It is
only a question of how much.

Also, we have a number of remarkable C4 species which, if modified, can
rapidly change global scale environmental factors. One species which has
the potential to run amok is the giant bamboo
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfDOMwFX5Hg>. If such a warm climate plant
were to be modified for a cold climate, snow ball Earth would be a shoe in
due to the vast amount of CO2 removal such a GMO product would produce.

I believe it is safe to predict and expect a wide range of proposals which
attempt to use the GMO short-cut in addressing climate change mitigation
needs. However, just one un-expected (un-predictable) outcome could easily
become catastrophic. Andrew postulates that "*This may take thousands of
years to happen*."; I would disagree, GMO induced catastrophic changes can
happen in a relative short time frame under some scenarios. We simply need
to look at the rapid spread of invasive species such as the Japanese
knotweed (*Polygonum sachalinense, P. cuspidatum, P. × bohemicum
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/forb/polspp/all.html>)* to see
what a GMO (equivalent) run away scenario may look like*.*

To quote the above link;

*"Rate of spread:* There is some information available regarding the rate
of spread of Japanese knotweed, though as of this writing (2010)
information was limited for Bohemian knotweed and lacking for giant
knotweed. After initial introductions, Japanese knotweed populations
displayed a 50-year lag time prior to* exponential population growth*. As
of 2006, spread rates in the United States were increasing rapidly, while
those in Canada leveled off in the 1970s [6]. In Washington, Japanese
knotweed was established in one county in 1960; by 2000, it was established
in more than 50 counties [127]. Along the Hoh River in northwestern
Washington, one Bohemian knotweed plant was transported downstream in a
winter storm event. Approximately 4 years after this event, 9,600 stems
were located within 20 river miles of where this plant established. Five
years after the flooding event, 18,585 stems were mapped within the same 20
river miles [111].".

The above highlight is mine. I have found this plant to be virtually
un-killable with the only recourse being massively strong concentrated
herbicide (Roundup) and that is only good for around 5 years time *before
the plant reemerges*. Some believe that the plant will soon loose all
vulnerability to even massive doses of the strongest herbicides.

In conclusion, we currently focus our climate engineering efforts on the
various aspects of FF related adverse effects upon our environment.
However, we may well see, *in the near future*, a need to counteract the
adverse effects which GMO efforts present us. I would like to think this
scenario can be avoided, yet I have no confidence that it can be.

Best,

Michael

*Michael Hayes*
*360-708-4976*