Responseto comments from Mark Capron

Hi Mark

Thanksfor your comments.  My view is thatmicroalgae is the best option for
carbon dioxide removal as a geoengineeringmethod to stabilise the global
climate, and that the submarine storage andprocessing concept I have presented
here should be the most economical andtechnically feasible approach.  Here is
asummary.

Consideringhow carbon can best be managed in a form that is made commercially
sustainable by its value as saleable commodities, my concept is that temporary
deep ocean storage ofalgae presents a method able to make emission reduction
irrelevant to climatestabilisation, by producing energy at a cost below the
production cost offossil fuels.

Theinefficiencies of existing algae methods are analysed by Beal et al in
theirpaper Economically competitive algalbiofuel production in a 100-ha
facility: a comprehensive techno-economic analysisand life cycle assessment.
Charles H.Green kindly sent me this paper in response to my comments on his
poston the efforts of the Algae Biomass Organisation.  Beal et al have also
written EnergyReturn on Investment for Algal Biofuel Production Coupled with
WastewaterTreatment.  Another typical paper on algae yield and energyreturn on
investment is Reductionof water and energy requirement of algae cultivation
using an algae biofilmphotobioreactor.

The methods described in these papers are nowherenear cost effective as biofuel
production systems able to compete with coal and gas without carbon tax
subsidy.  A completelynew technological paradigm is needed.

I preface my comments on the potential for suchtransformative technology by
saying that the concepts described below areuntested and are solely my personal
ideas. I would warmly welcome any suggestions on testing methods or discussion
onmy assumptions.

NASA’sOMEGA system, using floating plastic bags at sea to grow algae, presents
abasis for a far more efficient biofuel production method than algae ponds
orphotobioreactors, due to its ability to tap into oceanic energy.  The OMEGA
system as described by NASA must beaugmented by three important innovations
which together promise a new technologicalparadigm that will be cost
competitive.  Thesefactors are:

1.     use of tide, current and wave power to move CO2,nutrient, algae and
water;

2.     initial co-location with abundant sources of CO2,nutrient and expertise
and suitable hydrogeology;

3.     use of produced algae to make more factories usingmethods such as
bioplastic.

These methods offer potential to drive capital andoperating expenditure down
way below existing biofuel models in order to enablecost competitiveness
against fossil fuels when replicated and expanded toachieve efficiency of scale.

One potential suitable location is Barrow Island onthe North West Shelf in
Australia.  Chevron’sGorgon gas project, the biggest ever energy project in
Australia, plans togeosequester four megatonnes per year of CO2 under this
island as described at http://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/8514.aspx My suggestion aims to
turn this CO2 froma cost line into a source of profit by processing it into
fuel on the oceanfloor.

Tidalpumping, together with use of ocean currents for transport, offers
thepromise to process inputs including nutrient-richwater from below the
thermocline (see graphof depth concentration of phosphorus) at very low cost.
The overall plan is to use industrialtechnology to mimic the natural processes
of the formation of fossil fuels fromalgae blooms caused by nutrient upwelling
and geological formation, at vastlyaccelerated pace.

The next question is the most efficient way tostore and extract the commodity
products from the produced algae soup, whichcould be at an algae concentration
around 1% or less. If the OMEGA system is located at Barrow Island, (assuming
proof of technologyconcept through development in sheltered bays), and the
produced algated wateris floated and sunk into a container on the adjacent
abyssal plane, we shouldobtain major cost advantages for both dewatering and
fuel conversion atpressure.

The pressure of sinking algae will squeeze all the waterout from the base of
the container sitting on the abyssal floor. Such containers couldeventually be
at gigalitre or teralitre scale. The very high pressure at the bottom of the
sea will enable separationof the algae into components from gas to bitumen
using hydrothermal liquefaction.

If all the Gorgon Project waste CO2 is stored asalgae in bags on the ocean
floor, my rough order of magnitude calculation isthat it would produce a volume
of algae about the size of a cube of edge 125metres per year, weighing about
two megatonnes, assuming algae is halfcarbon.  This could contain about one
thirdoil suitable for diesel production, worth about $300m.

The initial aim here is to argue that algae biofuelcan be produced for profit
in a way that is ecologically sustainable.  This requires a low cost source of
CO2 suchas Gorgon to start, and would store the carbon as algae only
temporarily. Theaim would be to prove that this method can also be economic
using CO2 minedstraight from the air and sea, using wave and wind power at sea.

The scale needed to reduce atmospheric CO2 is aboutten thousand times the
Gorgon project, producing equivalent of a cube of algaewith edge about three
kilometres per year. The world ocean is on average four kilometres deep, and
nearly 400million square km in area.  There isplenty of space to achieve the
required carbon storage goal, in a way that wouldprovide abundant sustainable
energy and related carbon products while rapidlyprotecting biodiversity, water
acidity and temperature, and climate stability.

Robert Tulip

 Disclaimer: This is my personal work and does notrepresent views of the
Australian Government.