Hi All

The words 'charge' and 'electrostatic' do not appear in Stuart et 2013. People cleaning oil tanks in the 1960's found the painful way that its is difficult NOT to generate charge, see http://www.infostatic.co.uk/Papers/TankWashingRisks.pdf . There are at least two ways by which we can control charge.

The Stuart paper used a size distribution of 100 size bins, spaced logarithmically between 10 nm and 10 μm in wet diameter rather than mono-disperse spray. This is a range of 1000:1. I hope to keep within 20%. Coagulation requires a relative velocity between drops. Viscous forces are very large at sub-micron dimension. Particles will behave like sand in honey. Small scale turbulence will tend to vary the velocity of particles but while the Stokes drag force goes with the first power of diameter the mass resisting acceleration goes with the cube. If there is a wide range of drop diameters, local turbulence will produce much larger range of relative velocities. It would be useful to know coagulation rates for narrow ranges of drop diameter.

In my paper on the detection of small contrast changes I assumed a loss of 50% which would not be a show stopper.

In figure 2 of of the Stuart paper there is no sign of any initial drop due to evaporative cooling.

Stephen

Emeritus Professor of Engineering Design. School of Engineering. University of Edinburgh. Mayfield Road. Edinburgh EH9 3JL. Scotland s.sal...@ed.ac.uk Tel +44 (0)131 650 5704 Cell 07795 203 195 WWW.see.ed.ac.uk/~shs YouTube Jamie Taylor Power for Change