Thisarticle claims that "we already have an affordable solution with
arelatively well-understood outcome: reducing our carbon emissions." This isa
political assertion with dubious empirical basis. Their claims that global
agreement on emissionreduction is “affordable” and has “relatively well
understood outcomes” are tendentiousand rhetorical.   It is entirely wrong
tojump from the true observation that the science of climate change is settled
tothe false claim that our knowledge of what to do about it is equally settled.
 Such a jump seems to bedevil climate debate.

Continued net positive carbon emissions will merely delay thearrival of
probable dangerous environmental tipping points.  And we do not know if global
agreement toreduce emissions is politically feasible in the face of the power
of fossil fuel industries. The likely outcomes of efforts to achieve global
agreements are not wellunderstood at all, and hold planetary stability hostage
to a dubious politicaltheory. The debate on climate stability needs to be
reframed to includenegative emission technology such as BECCS,but this is often
seen as outside the scope of the global agreement process.

The upheaval that would result from a winding down of fossil fuelindustries
presents highly complex technical, political and economic problems,and in any
case the ambition would be crueled by optouts.  Blithely asserting that these
problems for emissionreduction are well understood and affordable does not
serve the interests ofevidence based policy.

Use of the derogatory terms “hacking” and “immoral” furtherillustrates the
politically driven nature of the comments from these academics.They make the
particularly weak assertion in their argument against SRM that “manyspecies are
already struggling to adapt tothe current pace of change.”  Surely thatis a
reason to try to slow down climate change through all means available, notan
argument to rule out major methods?

SRM is hardly a cure-all for the climate.  But putting all our eggs in the
basket theypropose, “to negotiate a worldwide treaty to cut carbon emissions
from nationsacross the globe”, involves extremely high stakes and is hardly
well understoodand affordable.

Robert Tulip