The New Yorker just published a Ryan Lizza piece on Keystone, in which
Lizza noted that: "the philosophical gulf between Obama and congressional
Republicans is relatively narrow".  '

See:  "The Keystone XL Test:  Can Obama make a deal?
<http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/keystone-xl-test-can-obama-make-deal>"

New Yorker, January 9 2015.    Ryan Lizza is the New Yorker's Washington
correspondent.  He also contributes to CNN.

Lizza pointed out that Obama's "veto statement
<http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/legislative/sap/114/saphr3r_20150107.pdf>

was silent on the merits of the project itself".  That is, the veto threat
is stated to exist because the executive branch asserts that H.R.3 (the
Keystone Pipeline Act) "conflicts with longstanding Executive branch
procedures regarding the authority of the President", and hence, if
Congress sends such a bill to the President to sign into law, "his senior
advisers would recommend that he veto" it.

Lizza claims to have inside information regarding Obama's view of
Keystone:  "In private, *Obama has been dismissive of environmentalist
claims* that building Keystone XL would significantly affect climate
change", and adds that "his State Department, with some caveats, came to
the same conclusion in an environmental-impact statement
<http://keystonepipeline-xl.state.gov/finalseis/index.htm>".

Hence, Lizza reasons, a deal may be possible.  He advocates that Obama make
one.  He speculates:  "What would the G.O.P. be willing to trade to get
Keystone approved?  A carbon tax?".

My question:  could the US environment movement give up its adamant
opposition to Keystone if, in exchange, Republicans signed on to a federal
carbon tax?