Poster's note : relevant to BECS, CROPS and other bioremediation of CO2
pollution

http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/v8/n6/abs/ngeo2413.html

Future productivity and carbon storage limited by terrestrial nutrient
availability

William R. Wieder, Cory C. Cleveland, W. Kolby Smith & Katherine Todd-Brown

Nature Geoscience 8, 441–444 (2015) doi:10.1038/ngeo2413

The size of the terrestrial sink remains uncertain. This uncertainty
presents a challenge for projecting future climate–carbon cycle feedbacks1,
2, 3, 4. Terrestrial carbon storage is dependent on the availability of
nitrogen for plant growth5, 6, 7, 8, and nitrogen limitation is
increasingly included in global models9, 10, 11. Widespread phosphorus
limitation in terrestrial ecosystems12 may also strongly regulate the
global carbon cycle13, 14, 15, but explicit considerations of phosphorus
limitation in global models are uncommon16. Here we use global
state-of-the-art coupled carbon–climate model projections of terrestrial
net primary productivity and carbon storage from 1860–2100; estimates of
annual new nutrient inputs from deposition, nitrogen fixation, and
weathering; and estimates of carbon allocation and stoichiometry to
evaluate how simulated CO2 fertilization effects could be constrained by
nutrient availability. We find that the nutrients required for the
projected increases in net primary productivity greatly exceed estimated
nutrient supply rates, suggesting that projected productivity increases may
be unrealistically high. Accounting for nitrogen and nitrogen–phosphorus
limitation lowers projected end-of-century estimates of net primary
productivity by 19% and 25%, respectively, and turns the land surface into
a net source of CO2 by 2100. We conclude that potential effects of nutrient
limitation must be considered in estimates of the terrestrial carbon sink
strength through the twenty-first century.