Greg,  John,  List

        1.  Starting with John Nissen’s message (below) today - I have tried
unsuccessfully for some time to learn details on the recent French soil
+0.4%C/yr carbon goal.   This is apparently meant to be the centerpiece of
their hosting COP21 in Paris - and should be good news to all CDR advocates.
I think this goal could eventually help biochar (I think the main CDR approach
involving soils), but does not have that intent as its origin.

        2.  I agree with Greg that the CDR story is missing out by not
mentioning ocean photosynthesis more often.   Greg is talking here of a CO2
concentration scenario like 400 ppm to 350 ppm - NOT 450 ppm  to 350 ppm (with
212 Gt C involved for his scenario). I believe Greg is saying even the
relatively modest 50 ppm gain is still a lot of  carbon.  Some bio advocates
may see this C or CO2 staying in the ocean,  but biochar advocates and the
French are thinking of this going into soils (as perhaps 250 Gt Char, since
char is only about 80% carbon and/or some portion is labile).

        3.  My part of the biochar world has been buzzing this past week about
a report of 300% increase in pumpkin growth in Nepal with biochar and urine.
This particular study has negative sequestration costs - and I think can be
(and is being) repeated at still negative cost levels for other species, soils
and locales.  See www.mdpi.com/2077-0472/5/3/723/pdf.
        This file opens no-fee for me - but if not for others, I can send. I
can also send several lengthy exchanges with the author Hans-Peter Schmidt - on
the “biochar” list last week.
        If indeed sequestration can now be better than free - CDR can move very
rapidly - with 350 ppm in sight by mid-century.  Stranger things have happened.
 Two weeks ago, I would not have said this- but 300% difference is remarkable -
and the char input was tiny.  We’re learning.

Ron