Here's a piece with a coda proposing who should help finance "negative
emissions" RD&D:

http://nyti.ms/1Omq9F2
As Documents Show Wider Oil Industry Knowledge of CO2 Climate Impacts, a
“Take it Back” Proposal
By ANDREW C. REVKIN
<http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/author/andrew-c-revkin/> DECEMBER 22,
2015 8:17 PM December 22, 2015 8:17 pm 3 Comments

   - Email
   - Share
   - Tweet
   - Save
   - More

Photo
[image: <a
href="http://insideclimatenews.org/news/22122015/exxon-mobil-oil-industry-peers-knew-about-climate-change-dangers-1970s-american-petroleum-institute-api-shell-chevron-texaco";>Documents
published</a> by InsideClimate News show that oil companies and the
American Petroleum Institute (API) were gauging carbon dioxide's climate
impacts decades ago.]
Documents published
<http://insideclimatenews.org/news/22122015/exxon-mobil-oil-industry-peers-knew-about-climate-change-dangers-1970s-american-petroleum-institute-api-shell-chevron-texaco>
by
InsideClimate News show that oil companies and the American Petroleum
Institute (API) were gauging carbon dioxide's climate impacts decades ago.
CreditInsideClimate News

Updated, 8:38 p.m. | There are new revelations from the continuing
InsideClimate News investigation of what the oil industry knew about the
potential climate impacts of carbon dioxide from fuel burning even as it
sought delays in related national and international policies.

The headline and deck on today’s story neatly summarize the news:

Exxon’s oil industry peers knew about climate dangers in the 1970s, too.
Members of an American Petroleum Institute task force on CO2 included
scientists from nearly every major oil company, including Exxon, Texaco and
Shell.

Below you can read my proposal for what the industry might do to make the
best use of its deep knowledge of carbon dioxide and climate change, along
with its scientific and technical capacity.

Here’s a snippet from Neela Banerjee’s article, but please read the rest at
the link below:

The American Petroleum Institute together with the nation’s largest oil
companies ran a task force to monitor and share climate research between
1979 and 1983, indicating that the oil industry, not just Exxon alone, was
aware of its possible impact on the world’s climate far earlier than
previously known.

The group’s members included senior scientists and engineers from nearly
every major U.S. and multinational oil and gas company, including Exxon,
Mobil, Amoco, Phillips, Texaco, Shell, Sunoco, and Sohio, according to
internal documents obtained by InsideClimate News and interviews with the
task force’s former director. [*Read the rest
<http://insideclimatenews.org/news/22122015/exxon-mobil-oil-industry-peers-knew-about-climate-change-dangers-1970s-american-petroleum-institute-api-shell-chevron-texaco>*
.]

My thoughts on the series’ earlier findings are here
<http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/09/16/a-deep-dive-into-what-exxon-knew-about-global-warming-and-when-1978-it-knew-it/>
.

All of this bolsters a notion I first floated awhile ago on Twitter
<https://twitter.com/revkin/status/655726892025294848>, related to a 1978
proposal by an Exxon scientist, Harold N. Weinberg:

In a memo to superiors, revealed in InsideClimate’s earlier reporting
<http://insideclimatenews.org/news/15092015/Exxons-own-research-confirmed-fossil-fuels-role-in-global-warming>,
Weinberg wrote: “What would be more appropriate than for the world’s
leading energy company and leading oil company [to] take the lead in trying
to define whether a long-term CO2 problem really exists and, if so, what
counter measures would be appropriate.”

The proposal was not embraced, needless to say.

While others pursue investigations
<http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/06/science/exxon-mobil-under-investigation-in-new-york-over-climate-statements.html>
that
may or may not bear fruit (but will surely enrich several generations of
lawyers), I have an idea for something that could start now.

I suggest that Exxon, and perhaps the fossil fuel industry more generally,
might help propel a vigorous new burst of research in ways to take back the
CO2 added to the atmosphere by fossil fuel combustion at a scale that would
matter to the climate system. (Those of us who benefitted from decades of
cheap fossil fuels can do our part by supporting boosted federal
investments in clean-energy science
<http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/11/02/panels-latest-warming-warning-misses-global-slumber-party-on-energy-research/>
 and technology development — and, yes, deployment
<http://www.iea.org/newsroomandevents/pressreleases/2015/may/clean-energy-innovation-essential-to-meeting-climate-goals.html>
.)

After all, the putative trajectories for avoiding dangerous climate change
<http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/11/23/world/carbon-pledges.html> that
were the centerpiece of discussions and pledges in the Paris climate treaty
talks all rely on as-yet-untested massive atmospheric CO2 removal
<http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/01/opinion/the-questionable-accounting-behind-the-worlds-carbon-budget.html>
sometime
late in this century.

At the same time, none of the pledges in the Paris agreement are focused on
developing the capacity to do anything of that sort in coming decades. That
was the “reality gap
<http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/11/06/the-reality-gap-in-the-push-to-close-the-global-warming-emissions-gap-in-paris/>”
I wrote about. (The innovation initiatives announced there by the Obama
administration <http://www.eenews.net/stories/1060029626> and Bill Gates
and others <http://www.gatesnotes.com/Energy/Investing-in-Energy-Innovation>
are
a great start, but just a start.)

Here’s what an Exxon promotional logo
<http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2015/12/22/blogs/dotco2takeback/dotco2takeback-jumbo.jpg>
might
look like once the company embraces this notion:
Photo
[image: A proposed logo for a possible effort by ExxonMobil to develop the
capacity to remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.]
A proposed logo for a possible effort by ExxonMobil to develop the capacity
to remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.Credit Andrew C. Revkin

In late November, I had an initial email exchange about this notion with
Kenneth P. Cohen, Exxon’s vice president for public and government affairs.
He responded, “We actually have some very interesting/promising work
underway in the CO2 capture area,” but couldn’t elaborate at the time. I’m
looking forward to hearing more.

Here are articles describing the kinds of efforts I’m thinking about — all
of which are very different than simply catching and compressing CO2 from
smokestacks and pumping it into the ground (a process that remains a pipe
dream <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9zHpdkGFtQ> at anything approaching
the necessary scale):

– “Learning To Love CO2 — Companies and academics seek out profitable
pathways to materials made from the unwanted gas”
<http://cen.acs.org/articles/93/i45/Learning-Love-CO2.html?hootPostID=b2300574e8a8ce31c086064bf80d4907>
(Alex
Scott, Chemical and Engineering News, Nov. 16, 2015)

– “Startups have figured out how to remove carbon from the air. Will anyone
pay them to do it?”
<http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2015/jul/14/carbon-direct-air-capture-startups-tech-climate>
(Marc
Gunther, The Guardian, July 14, 2015)

– “Can Sucking CO2 Out of the Atmosphere Really Work?”
<http://www.technologyreview.com/featuredstory/531346/can-sucking-co2-out-of-the-atmosphere-really-work/>
(Eli
Kintisch, Technology Review, Oct. 7, 2014)

I was heartened to see an excellent piece posted by The Conversation on
Dec. 12 on the notion of a “CO2 takeback scheme
<https://theconversation.com/paris-emissions-cuts-arent-enough-well-have-to-put-carbon-back-in-the-ground-52175>
.”

The essay is by Myles Allen <http://www.oxfordmartin.ox.ac.uk/people/412>,
an Oxford University climatologist who was a leader of research developing a
carbon budget
<http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/29/science/earth/paris-climate-talks-avoid-scientists-goal-of-carbon-budget.html>
as
a way to gauge global warming solutions and has since 2013 pressed for
intensified work
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jun/05/bury-co2-problem-capture-store-carbon>
on
capturing CO2.

Here’s an excerpt and link:

To stabilize temperatures at any level, be it 1.5℃, 2℃ or even 3℃, net
carbon dioxide emissions must be reduced to zero. Most governments,
environmental groups and business leaders now understand this. And it is
acknowledged, albeit implicitly, in Article 4 of the Paris agreement, which
calls for greenhouse emissions to be “balanced” by carbon sinks some time
after mid-century.

But we’re unlikely to hit “net zero” emissions before temperatures reach
2℃, and even less likely before they reach 1.5℃. Warming is currently at
about 1℃ and rising by 0.1℃ every five to ten years. We could slow the
warming by reducing emissions, of course. But if we fail to reduce at the
required rate – and the inadequate emissions targets indicate this is the
intention – then we will be left with no option but to scrub the excess CO2
back out of the atmosphere
<https://theconversation.com/cant-we-just-remove-carbon-dioxide-from-the-air-to-fix-climate-change-not-yet-45621>
in
future.

Owners of fossil fuel assets

That is why the deal is like a gigantic take-back scheme. The proof lies in
what is not said in the Paris agreement. There is no explicit mention
of a global
carbon budget
<http://www.carbonbrief.org/meeting-two-degree-climate-target-means-80-per-cent-of-worlds-coal-is-unburnable-study-says>for
instance, which adds up total emissions since the industrial revolution.
That is despite the fact that all governments have acknowledged,
through theIntergovernmental
Panel on Climate Change <http://www.ipcc.ch/>, the reality that stabilising
temperatures requires a limit on cumulative CO2 emissions. Certain
countries simply cannot accept the suggestion that they may be obliged to
leave some of their prized fossil carbon reserves underground.

And why should they? We do not need, and nor have we any right, to ban
India from using its coal. We simply need to ensure that, by the time
global temperatures reach 2℃ (or 1.5℃ if that is what is eventually deemed
safe), any company that sells fossil fuels, or any carbon-intensive product
like conventional cement, is obliged to take back an equivalent amount of
CO2 and dispose of it safely to ensure it doesn’t end up in the atmosphere.
[*Read on*
<https://theconversation.com/paris-emissions-cuts-arent-enough-well-have-to-put-carbon-back-in-the-ground-52175>
.]

Addendum, 8:40 p.m. | This story by Bloomberg’s Eric Roston is relevant, as
well: “ExxonMobil and Sierra Club Agreed on Climate Policy—and Kept It
Secret
<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-12-22/exxonmobil-and-sierra-club-agreed-on-climate-policy-and-kept-it-secret>.
A forgotten accord reached in 2009 may yet have relevance for the future of
U.S. climate policy.”

*_*

ANDREW C. REVKIN
Dot Earth blogger <http://www.nytimes.com/dotearth>, The New York Times