List: Fred, Ken, and other ccs

        1.  There is a much longer version of the Brennan talk, including
numerous Q/A (none re geo),  at:
http://www.cfr.org/intelligence/john-brennan-transnational-threats-global-security/p38082

<http://www.cfr.org/intelligence/john-brennan-transnational-threats-global-security/p38082>

        2.   Because I officially visited a CIA library in the mid-70s re
solar, representing a Congressional entity, I’d be very surprised if there were
not a lot of CIA staff looking at all the Geo approaches.  Alan Robock has
mentioned being interviewed once.  Anyone know more that relates the CIA to
"Geo”?

        3.   See inserts below.

> On Jul 5, 2016, at 9:06 AM, Ken Caldeira <kcalde...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I think of carbon dioxide removal as a form of mitigation and of solar
> geoengineering as an extreme form of adaptation.
>
> They are not not mutually exclusive, and not substitutes except insofar as
> more carbon dioxide removal reduces the motivation to deploy solar
> geoengineering.

        RWL:  The (above, highlighted) double negative looks like a typo.  I
agree that more CDR means less SRM.  But also believe that more SRM means more
CDR.  So no symmetry.

one more below

> On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 07:52 Fred Zimmerman <geoengineerin...@gmail.com
> <mailto:geoengineerin...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> What I find interesting about this is that it had seemed to me that this
> community had largely moved on to CDR & especially BECCS as the preferred
> mechanism, most people accepting David Keith's view of SAI as a last-ditch
> option for slowing the rate of change.  Do others agree with my formulation?
        [RWL:  Not me - on both counts.  It seems to me that BECCS has fallen
from that #1 position given the many problems today facing CCS.  The
Mississippi CCS plant is now projected to cost 3X the promised value.  And the
value is supposed to lie in EOR, not real sequestration.

Ron