Dear Ron,

Thanks so much for your response.
Actually I didn't know how active Japan is in the biochar space.
I'll keep my eye on this.

And I agree it's an important research question to compare
bio-based CDR, CDR, SRM, and mitigation, adaptation...
In light of the crucial role CDR plays in the 2-degree / 1.5-degree
scenario, we definitely have to to disentangle different CDR options in
survey/interview/engagement studies.

Best,
Masa

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 11:09 PM, Ronal W. Larson
<rongretlar...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Professor Sugiyama,  cc List
>
> 1.   Thanks for the PNAS Decision Pathway URL you provided below.  Extensive
> use of the terms “deliberative” and “values”.  They did look at several CDR
> options - with the respondents favoring (as usual) afforestation.  Two
> tutorials used in the deliberative part of the process.
>
> The authors listed 5 steps in thinking through - using  “PrOACT” (42):
> understand the problem context,
> clarify objectives,
> define alternatives,
> identify consequences, and
> highlight key tradeoffs
>
>   There are several other useful lists.  I liked this paper.
>
> The Supplemental Information is only two figures, but get across the point
> that incoming values (OT the technologies themselves) predict the polling
> results.  See
> http://www.pnas.org/content/suppl/2016/01/02/1508896113.DCSupplemental/pnas.201508896SI.pdf
> .
> I have recently been reading George Layoff on values, frames, etc.  - and
> see the current US election throughout this PNAS values-oriented paper
>
> There is some hint at how the 800 respondents might have “voted” on biochar
> - but, unfortunately, biochar was not one of the selected alternatives.
>

> 2.   In looking further at your Institute’s work I found this also by you
> http://pari.u-tokyo.ac.jp/policy/WP16_23.pdf .  This was also interesting,
> though also limited to SRM, so I won’t go further with that.
>
> 3.  Japan has had a world-leading role in biochar (the CDR option I am
> interested in) development.  I saw much of that Japanese leadership in 2011
> at a biochar conference in Kyoto.  On the last day we visited one of several
> dozen rice-hull carbonization facilities operated by Kansei Electric.  It
> could be interesting in a survey-theory sense to compare the CDR views of
> Japanese farmers (who have been buying char from these facilities for years)
> with other Japanese who might never heard the word “biochar” - all in a
> climate-deliberative (not soil-deliberative) setting.
>
> 4.  Another poll of interest to me would be for your group to compare all
> the bio-oriented CDR options from a Japanese perspective:  afforestation,
> BECCS, biochar, biomass burial, etc.  They are all quite different, but with
> some obvious similarities.
>
> Again, thanks for adding more to this dialog.
>
> Ron
>

> On Aug 13, 2016, at 9:40 AM, Masa Sugiyama <msugiy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Andrew, Ron, and all,
>
> I totally agree that we should look into the CDR/NET
> part of the equation. And I also think things like deliberative polling
> would be really needed.
> We just think this is only a start.
>
> BTW, here's a study using the method called
> a decision pathway survey.
> http://m.pnas.org/content/113/3/560
>
> Best,
> Masa

Masahiro Sugiyama, Ph.D.
The University of Tokyo, Policy Alternatives Research Institute
Assistant Professor
7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033, JAPAN
masah...@pari.u-tokyo.ac.jp
masahiro_sugiy...@alum.mit.edu
TEL +81-3-5841-0933
FAX +81-3-5841-0938