List:  cc Andrew and author Holly Buck  (I think one of the best social
scientists looking at “Geo” topics)

        At first I was disappointed that Ms. Buck’s paper only twice used the
term ”biochar”.  This because I believe including biochar in this sort of
social science research would help advance biochar as a NET/CDR approach.
BECCS was used about 20 times.  One cite each for the biochar and BECCS terms.

        But, upon reflection, this paper is of considerable help in bringing
biochar more into CDR/NET discussions - since the term “food systems” was one
of only five terms called out in her list of keywords.  The term “food” appears
10 times, with 2 cites - mostly as a concern for, not a benefit of, the BECCS
approach.  Among the usual list of NET/CDR areas, it seems that only biochar
can have a positive influence for global food supply (although rarely modeled
in CDR/NET literature).  Indeed, I guess (haven’t counted) that biochar
literature (several 1000 technical papers) is 4 or 5 to 1 in coverage of food
over CDR/NET.  (And these soil/food and NET attributes of biochar are not at
all in conflict;  you try to benefit either and the other comes along.)

        So this is to hope that Ms.  Buck will soon have a paper with more on
the “social barriers and social implications” of all the NETs.

Ron