Andrew,  cc list and two more new ccs

   1.  Thanks again for finding and alerting the Geo list to so many pertinent
papers - and especially this one from yesterday.   I write to thank the authors
(2 being cc’d) and hope that we can have more dialog on this Geo-Assessment
topic.  (I like CE replacing Geo, but not on this list, until the list changes
its name)

   2.  Dr.  Oschlies’ inclusion as first author is obvious,  but I add Dr.
Mengis based on her thesis title:
        Mengis, N.,  (2016), Towards a comprehensive, comparative assessment of
climate engineering schemes, metrics, indicators and uncertainties. PhD thesis,
 Kiel University, 151pp.
- which I have requested.

   3.  The paper asks for other thoughts on assessing (ranking) Geo topics - so
here are a few from a biochar (unmentioned in this paper, but identified in one
cite) perspective, that go beyond the standard ones involving costs, risks,
etc. (which they cover well).  I don’t believe these three proposed criteria
are now in the below cited paper.

        a.   GEO (in my case, CDR) technologies that support non-climate global
priorities should somehow receive extra credit.  I am thinking of the new
17-part framework found at
https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/post2015/transformingourworld
<applewebdata://A1F4825B-B843-42AA-9210-068772B89F3F/3D%22https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/post2015/transformingourworl=>
 .  Obviously food (and quite a few other of the 17) fits for biochar (and
receive minimum credit in the well-known CDR comparisons).

        b.   Technologies that are experiencing growth (in installations,
papers, conference attention, etc) rather than stagnation should receive higher
rankings.  (Also fail to see this [commercialization status] cited)

        c.   Technologies that have out-year, as well as first-year climate
benefits (are investments rather than expenses) deserve higher credit.  (Nor
this one - stopping the analysis of biochar when it is put in the ground misses
half the excitement.)

  4.  I also found one sentence in the paper about afforestation that needs
discussion from a CDR perspective.  It reads:  “Would the accounting of carbon
sequestered via afforestation be viewed differently when radiative forcing of
afforestation was found to lead to a net warming?"

        My answer is “yes” (to “differently”, not necessarily negatively) as
this is a valid question, based on reduced albedo for forests over pastures.
But it is complicated by land use changes and biogeophysical effects -
especially for all of the bio type of CDR options.  This topic is covered many
places - such as in these five articles (the last two on biochar - which say no
warming [that biochar is different from afforestation]):

        a.  http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/9/11/114014
<applewebdata://A1F4825B-B843-42AA-9210-068772B89F3F/3D%22http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/9/11/114014%22>
        b.
https://ore.exeter.ac.uk/repository/bitstream/handle/10871/18069/JoC2014.pdf?sequence3D1

<applewebdata://A1F4825B-B843-42AA-9210-068772B89F3F/3D%22https://ore.exeter.ac.uk/repository/bitstream/handle/10871/18069/J=>

        c.   http://www.biogeosciences.net/8/3687/2011/bg-8-3687-2011.pdf
<applewebdata://A1F4825B-B843-42AA-9210-068772B89F3F/3D%22http://www.biogeosciences.net/8/3687/2011/bg-8-3687-2011.pdf%22>

        d.  (Albedo Impact on the Suitability of Biochar Systems To Mitigate
Global Warming”
(http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/es302302g
<http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/es302302g>)
                 (with fee), or for some, this is no-fee
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Bruno_Glaser2/publication/233403518_Albedo_Impact_on_the_Suitability_of_Biochar_Systems_To_Mitigate_Global_Warming/links/55dc9f8f08aed6a199adfe9d.pdf

<https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Bruno_Glaser2/publication/233403518_Albedo_Impact_on_the_Suitability_of_Biochar_Systems_To_Mitigate_Global_Warming/links/55dc9f8f08aed6a199adfe9d.pdf>

        e.  Mimicking biochar-albedo feedback in complex Mediterranean
agricultural landscapes
http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/10/8/084014
<applewebdata://A1F4825B-B843-42AA-9210-068772B89F3F/3D%22http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/10/8/084014%22>
I recognize that the authors clearly asked a question about afforestation - not
the bio branch of CDR,  but some may inappropriately make an inaccurate
connection.  So, if anyone feels that biochar fails on this score, I hope we
can have some discussion on the albedo topic.  Afforestation differs in
providing neither energy nor long-lived, out-year increased CDR services.

Ron