Technology pp 163-184

Date: 06 January 2017

Geoengineering: Reflections on Current Debates

Paula Curvelo
, Ângela Guimarães Pereira

$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95 *

Buy eBook

$99.99 / €89.99 / £66.99*

* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.

Get Access

Abstract

In this paper we propose to investigate the current debates on
geoengineering, here considered as an illustrative metaphor of
particular technoscientific promises and ‘techno-fix’ narratives that
are emerging in our society. After a brief introduction, where we
provide the necessary background to understand the complex issues
surrounding geoengineering, we discuss the relevance of this
investigation. We then proceed to explore the controversies behind
geoengineering, which start with its own definition. The analysis of
the current debates around geoengineering experimentation, regulation
and deployment reveal some of the dominant narratives of
technoscientific progress and highlight important tensions and
frictions in the relationship between science, policy and society. A
reflection on these issues suggests the relevance of developing
alternative approaches to furthering the ‘democratisation and
de-alienation’ of geoengineering debates, thus responding to a
perceived need for more careful consideration of the normative
assumptions that lie behind the idea of deliberately manipulating
Earth’s climate to offset anthropogenic climate change.

Keywords

Climate Engineering Geoengineering Debates Climate Change Narrative
Inquiry Master Narratives