Greg and List (Greg adding 3 from ETC)

        See inserts below.

> On Apr 7, 2017, at 10:11 AM, Greg Rau <gh...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> Thanks, Ron.  While I agree that ETC should be endorsing CDR, that's not the
> message they've sent in the past. E.g., from their Geopiracy screed
> http://www.etcgroup.org/sites/www.etcgroup.org/files/publication/pdf_file/ETC_geopiracy_4web.pdf
>
> <http://www.etcgroup.org/sites/www.etcgroup.org/files/publication/pdf_file/ETC_geopiracy_4web.pdf>
        RWL:  Greg, you show below about 20% from the main 1-page biochar
section in ETC’s 52 page report (cite above).  I don’t think ETC has paid much
attention to biochar, so I guess they probably would not stand too much behind
this - which is from 2010.  This section on biochar was written by Biofuel
Watch (BFW) - a smaller (mostly UK) NGO.   BFW first wrote about biochar in
2008 - and intermittently (only negatively)  since then.   Both ETC and BFW
seem now to focus attention on BECCS (which I was amazed to find not included
at all in “Geopiracy”).

        I would be most interested in hearing how ETC would respond to my
roughly 20 claims on how biochar should be viewed on the same 20 criteria they
used for SRM.  Again I applaud ETC for being specific on their criteria - and
they should feel free to add others more appropriate for biochar if they wish -
but I would appreciate feedback on all for biochar - as all are relevant
(though many other criteria should be added).

        A huge change in biochar knowledge has occurred since “Geopiracy”.  In
early 2010, as BFW was writing this one pager for ETC, they and ETC could
search a IBI technical bibliography (http://biochar-international.org/biblio
<http://biochar-international.org/biblio>) of 172 new articles from 2009.    In
mid 2016 (the date of the last I recall from ETC/BFW), they would have had to
look over approximately 10 times as many from 2015 onward.  The cumulative IBI
bibliography listings will probably exceed 4400 in the next week or two.  (Does
any other “Geo” technical approach come close to that many cites over the last
ten years?)

        On March 21-23,   FAO held a conference in Rome on just the subject of
sequestering carbon for climate reasons (ie.  “4p1000”).  Here biochar seems to
me to be in position to benefit the most (BECCS doesn’t fit into that sphere).
See  http://www.fao.org/about/meetings/soil-organic-carbon-symposium/en/
<http://www.fao.org/about/meetings/soil-organic-carbon-symposium/en/> .  This
is not an isolated example of rapidly growing global interest in soil carbon  -
likely to be a major new part of IPCC’s AR6!   Does ETC now plan to oppose that?

        In sum,  I look forward to hearing how ETC (or BFW or anyone) would
rephrase my 20-some biochar clauses given below on ETC’s 20-some SRM-criteria.
 The criteria are key!  And the criteria obviously should go well beyond
assumptions about technical readiness.

        Thanks to Ken for inviting ETC in on this CDR (not just biochar) topic.

Ron