From: geoengineering@googlegroups.com [mailto:geoengineering@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Ronal W. Larson
Sent: vrijdag 19 mei 2017 1:20
To: Ronal W. Larson
Cc: Geoengineering; Andrew Lockley
Subject: Re: [geo] Potentials, consequences and trade-offs of terrestrial
(CDR): Strategies for climate engineering

            This is a followup.

            Yesterday,  a third paper based on Dr. Boysen’s thesis was released
- to be found (no-fee) at
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2016EF000469/full.  The full title
and author list is:   Citation: Boysen, L. R., W. Lucht, D. Gerten, V. Heck, T.
M. Lenton, and H. J. Schellnhuber (2017), The limits to global-warming
mitigation by terrestrial carbon removal, Earth’s Future, 5,
dos:10.1002/2016EF000469.

            I like this paper.   The final sentence of the Summary states:
“Although we find that this strategy of sequestering carbon is not a viable
alternative to aggressive emission reductions, it could still support
mitigation efforts if sustainably managed.”     I think there has been too
little credit given to the added out-year benefits of biochar, so I put this
paper into a pro-CDR category - and hope for more modeling efforts of this high
caliber.

Ron

On Apr 25, 2017, at 9:38 PM, Ronal W. Larson