      From: Wil Burns <williamcgbu...@gmail.com>
 To: geoengineering <geoengineering@googlegroups.com>
 Sent: Sunday, 11 June 2017, 23:01
 Subject: [geo] Re: Geoengineering fears make scrutiny of ocean seeding test
vital | New Scientist

While I won't wade into the OIF controversy (at least right now), I think it's
important to note that Robert's characterization of the MIT study's conclusions
about the impacts of the Paris Agreement is, in itself, a mischaracterization.
See:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2017/06/08/trump-used-our-research-to-justify-pulling-out-of-the-paris-agreement-he-got-it-wrong/?utm_term=.f70b18f5c27a.
 Donald Trump cited this study as one of his justifications to withdraw from
Paris, and I thought the researchers did an excellent job of explaining why
this interpretation was incorrect.
Moreover, the stocktaking and review provisions of the Paris are designed to
ensure that the level of Party commitments increase over time (see,
particularly, Arts. 4(3), 4(9) and Art. 14, so taking a snapshot of what
Nationally Determined Contributions will yield by 2100 based on current NDCs is
misleading. I also don't think it makes sense for the geoengineering community
to denigrate Paris as a justification for geoengineering. wil

|  Dr. Wil Burns
 Co-Executive Director, Forum for Climate Engineering Assessment, School of
International Service, American University  |
|  650.281.9126 | w...@feronia.org | http://www.ceassessment.org | Skype:
wil.burns |
 2650 Haste St., Towle Hall #G07, Berkeley, CA 94720| View my research on my
SSRN Author page: http://ssrn.com/author=240348  |

On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 1:49:04 AM UTC-5, Andrew Lockley wrote:
https://www.newscientist.com/ article/2133372- geoengineering-fears-make-
scrutiny-of-ocean-seeding- test-vital/https://groups.google.com/d/optout.