Some years back Emad Ghafoori and I looked at the life cycle emissions of
anaerobic digestion of cattle manure, part of our techno-economic study of
AD. We had to assess the emissions of cow patties, and we had assumed that
they would be a significant source of methane. We found a study that
reported that methane emissions dropped sharply after the first day, and we
hypothesized that this was because aerobic bacteria quickly developed on
the cow patty and perhaps processed the methane from anaerobic bacteria in
the patty, or its precursors.

I have wondered if the same would occur in the arctic, reducing the very
scary methane risk to a still substantial CO2 risk. It would make an
interesting research project, much as measuring emissions from a cow patty
was.

As a general comment: anaerobic digestion of manure to produce a gas that
is ~60% methane and 40% CO2 works, but is lousy economics if solely done to
address GHG mitigation: there are far cheaper ways (measured by dollars per
ton of avoided CO2 equivalent) to mitigate. Anaerobic digestion can deal
with excessive phosphate in soil (by precipitating it prior to land
spreading the digestate), and vastly reduces pathogens and odor. So if one
has a phosphate, odor or pathogen problem, it may make sense, but if one is
simply trying to mitigate atmospheric GHG components, one gets more benefit
for the expense from other approaches.

Peter

Peter Flynn, P. Eng., Ph. D.

Emeritus Professor and Poole Chair in Management for Engineers

Department of Mechanical Engineering

University of Alberta

peter.fl...@ualberta.ca

cell: 928 451 4455