Airships were considered by McClellan et al.
http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/7/3/034019
This report needs revision - as later analyses have shown unanticipated
limitations with wing design (based on my interpretation of comments made
at CEC17). Furthermore, their analysis of non-aircraft delivery modes (eg
guns) was rather cursory.

Since this report's publication, various hybrid airships have been tested -
such as those from HAV and Northrup Grumman - so the subject likely merits
re-visiting.

IMO, engineering is a neglected aspect of geoengineering.

Andrew Lockley