Subject: Re: 9% for 36 gton/yr RE: [geo] Re: ocean fertilization
From: Oliver Wingenter <oli...@nmt.edu>
Date: Fri, November 17, 2017 3:42 pm
To: markcap...@podenergy.org
Cc: chris.vivi...@btinternet.com, geoengineering
<geoengineering@googlegroups.com>

Mark,

Why would you consider fertilizing water that is not HNLC?

Oliver

On Nov 17, 2017 4:08 PM, <markcap...@podenergy.org> wrote:
Chris,

Please pass to David.

See 2012 paper in Process Safety and Environmental Protection "Negative carbon via Ocean Afforestation".

The 2012 paper is a little outdated with only anaerobic digestion as the energy process.  Now estimating 5% of world's ocean surface to completely replace fossil fuels (600 quadrillion BTU/yr).  The more likely hybrid energy process of hydrothermal liquefaction and anaerobic digestion would mean somewhat less gigatons of CO2 stored each year.

The paper discusses recycling plant nutrients from the energy process back to the seaweed.

U.S. Department of Energy's Advanced Research Project Agency - Energy is funding 18 seaweed-energy teams in MARINER.  Attached describes the two University of Southern Mississippi/OceanForesters teams and has links to the full list of teams.

ARPA-E is not discussing CO2 recovery and storage.  Our favorite approach that can easily keep up with that rate of CO2 storage is explained in OCEANS'13 MTS/IEEE Technical Program "Secure Seafloor Container CO2 Storage."

Mark E. Capron, PE
Ventura, California
www.PODenergy.org