On Peter's wise input, one other thought.

In ecosystems, there's some evidence that a lack of true "organization" -
meaning coordination, consistency - appears to be a source of resilience.
As Thomas Elmqvist captured as "response diversity"
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1890/1540-9295(2003)001%5B0488:RDECAR%5D2.0.CO;2/full>
in a remarkable 2003 paper. I cited it a couple of times in the context of
intense deep divisions over climate change solutions (sift to Elmqvist
mention here
<https://medium.com/@revkin/around-2006-having-spent-more-than-two-decades-writing-about-the-science-behind-global-warming-i-96a21df2d68e>
).

Applied to human systems, the notion would be that our variegated responses
to environmental stresses - both at individual (
http://culturalcognition.net ) and societal levels (the difference
between China's
climate/energy planning and ours and Europe's etc.
<https://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/07/11/in-paris-scientists-chart-varied-paths-to-a-sustainable-human-relationship-with-earths-climate/>)
- are adaptive in the best evolutionary sense. (There's only been one peer
reviewed paper
<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4028135/>assessing
the social-resilience equivalent so far.)

The result looks disorderly and is full of tensions, but it's totally human
and got us through our mess.. so far..  The alternative - coordinated
planetary 'management' - feels necessary but seems implicitly un-human.

Of course we are entering what feels like uncharted terrain given how much
our environmental potency is outstripping our capacity to understand its
implications on time scales we're not set up to consider fully.. But that's
also the human way, it seems. .

*ANDREW C. REVKIN*
*ProPublica Senior Reporter
<https://www.propublica.org/site/author/andrew_revkin> (*climate etc.)