Large explosive charges, tens or hundreds of metres beneath the sea bed,
would create a crater with an elevated ring of debris. This ring would tend
to jam ice in an otherwise smooth sea bed, if it was tall enough to
protrude into the surface waters.

I understand that the Russians had a significant, although experimental,
programme of civil engineering using nuclear explosives in the early cold
War.

Andrew