Hi all,

Our latest paper is out online here:
https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1029/2018JD028906;
“Timescale for Detecting the Climate Response to Stratospheric Aerosol
Geoengineering”

This uses the GLENS simulations (see here:
http://www.cesm.ucar.edu/experiments/cesm1.2/GLE/ if you aren’t familiar with
them), but

-        Builds an emulator to allow us to project response to other scenarios
(and in particular, to scenarios more moderate than the RCP8.5 one used in
GLENS, which was great for signal-to-noise ratio but not the only case to
consider for policy)

-        Compares the projected response from geoengineering to natural
variability

-        Estimates how long it would take to detect changes, in a few
variables, for a few scenarios.

Bottom line is that if we have a limited deployment scenario (e.g., only use
SRM to go from 3C to 1.5C), then in many (not all) places, it will be difficult
to tell the difference between the 1.5C climate obtained by using SRM and a
1.5C climate due to lower CO2…

Abstract
Stratospheric aerosol geoengineering could be used to maintain global mean
temperature despite increased atmospheric greenhouse gas (GHG) concentrations,
for example, to meet a 1.5 or 2◦Ctarget. While this might reduce many climate
change impacts, the resulting climate would not be the same as one with the
same global mean temperature due to lower GHG concentrations. The primary
question we consider is how long it would take to detect these differences in a
hypothetical deployment. We use a20-member ensemble of stratospheric sulfate
aerosol geoengineering simulations in which SO2is injected at four different
latitudes to maintain not just the global mean temperature, but also the
interhemispheric and equator-to-pole gradients. This multiple-latitude strategy
better matches the climate changes from increased GHG, while the ensemble
allows us both to estimate residual differences even when they are small
compared to natural variability and to estimate the statistics of variability.
We first construct a linear emulator to predict the model responses for
different scenarios. Under an RCP4.5 scenario in which geoengineering maintains
a 1.5◦C target (providing end-of-century cooling of 1.7◦C), the projected
changes in temperature, precipitation, and precipitation minus evaporation
(P−E) at a grid-scale are typically small enough that in many regions the
signal-to-noise ratio is still less than one at the end of this century; for
example, for P−E, only 30% of the land area reaches a signal-to-noise ratio of
one. These results provide some context for the projected magnitude of climate
changes associated with a limited deployment of stratospheric aerosol cooling